This guide will look at just two of the possible options out there – the Blackberry Q10 and the iPhone 5 – and do so in respect to shopping on eBay, a website that allows visitors to quickly search out an item and complete a transaction.
The BlackBerry Q10
BlackBerry is one of the leading smartphone brands, with the Q10 model released in 2013. Using a QWERTY keyboard and touch-screen technology, it is commended for its ease-of-use and speedy performance.
- Design- The keyboard is the phone's most noticeable characteristic – some people prefer a QWERTY keyboard for accuracy and speed when typing. However, because of this inclusion, the screen (3.1 inches) is naturally smaller compared to many other smartphones. The phone is a desirable size, fitting nicely in the hand with a glass weave finish on the back.
- Performance- The performance of the Q10 is generally very good, running on a dual-core 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 plus processor. This is backed up with 2 GB of RAM and a respectable 16 GB of internal storage. Removing the back side will reveal a microSD removable storage slot, offering a further 32 GB of memory.
- Camera - The 8.0 megapixels primary camera is more than capable of producing high-quality snaps. Access to the camera mode is quick and easy too, by pressing down the relevant icon on the bottom right of the display. Auto-focus, single LED flash, and HDR mode are features of the camera. There is also a video mode, shooting in 1080p HD.
- Battery - Using a 2,200mAh battery, the Q10 can last for long periods of heavy usage and is one of the phone's selling points. Even with full brightness and open apps, the phone can go over a day without needing a charge. Chargers for the Q10 are also available on eBay.
The iPhone 5
Released in 2012, the iPhone 5 is a high-performance smartphone released by Apple as their 6th generation iPhone. With an impressive touch-screen, it is slimmer and lighter than its predecessors.
- Design - With the instantly recognisable iPhone look, the iPhone 5 has a large 4-inch screen with a 640 × 1,136 pixel resolution at 326 ppi. The exterior of the handset is attractive, with an aluminium back-end, diamond-cut angled edges, and glass inserts. At 112 grams, it is remarkably light for the level of processors inside.
- Performance - The iPhone 5 features Apple's iOS mobile operating system, running on a 1.3 GHz dual core processor. The speed of the phone scores highly in reviews, where accessing apps and services is a simple task. In addition, Apple will provide updates for its iOS system that will keep the phone up-to-date in the future.
- Camera - Fitted with an 8 megapixel back-side illuminated sensor camera, images produced by the iPhone 5 are highly desirable. The high-quality sapphire glass screen cover helps with this. Accessing the camera mode is very simple by tapping the shutter button, even in locked mode. The video mode captures 1080 HP images also.
- Battery - The powerful performance of the phone means that regularly using apps, games, and viewing media won't usually allow it to be used longer than a day without a charge. The battery is a 3.8 Volt device, a slight upgrade from the iPhone 4S. Again, an array of iPhone 5 chargers can be bought separately.
Q10 vs iPhone 5
This section will look at the specifications and the key elements to the phones side by side. The table below can be used to quickly compare the two models in respect to their specifications.
Great for messaging
Long battery life
Fast internet speed
Great and accessible apps
119.6 mm (4.71 in) height
123.8 mm (4.87 in) height
139 g (4.90 oz)
112 g (3.95 oz)
iOS (can be updated)
16 GB (up to 64 GB external)
16, 32 or 64 GB
2100 mAh removable battery
3.8 V, 5.45 Wh (1,440 mAh)
Buying on eBay
A wide range of smartphones are available on eBay, both as used and brand new items. Navigating through the site is quick and easy from the home page, either by using the keyword search tool or browsing the main categories.
Enter either ‘BlackBerry Q10' or ‘iPhone 5' into the search bar, and then enter the Phones category from the left-hand side of the page. The Mobile Accessories is a useful category to search for any needed add-ons for one of the two handsets.
Narrowing down the listings or sorting them in a more favourable manner can make a search more fruitful. Scrutinize the item's description to ensure the phone is fit for purpose. Check out the seller also and don't be scared to ask them question if necessary.
Most buyers will be looking on eBay for products less expensive than on the high street or other online outlets. In respect to this, check out the eBay Deals area of the site. This is a partner site of eBay with products handpicked by the company and presented with free postage costs. Enter the Electronics category from the home page and then Smartphones within the Phones section.
Both the BlackBerry Q10 and iPhone 5 smartphones are at the higher end of the market and require a substantial outlay to acquire. However, the Q10 with its impressive keyboard and iPhone 5 with its fast performance features, are top-of-the range handsets that are both worth the investment. Check out eBay to compare both models next to each other.