Here are a few helpful tips for those planning to buy a car on eBay:
- INSPECT - If the car is in your city its a good idea to go and look at it. Photos can only show so much and a seller is likely not to dwell on the cars negatives. The first thing you should do is try to assess what kind of a life the car has had by giving it a quick external assessment. Has it been washed? What is the seller like? Is it in a garage, driveway or on the street? Then check its service history. If it hasn't been maintained properly you could be up for major repairs. How's the paintwork? Check things like tyres, brake pads and shock absorbers for wear.
- GET IT CHECKED - Consider taking it to your own mechanic for an inspection.
- TITLE CHECK - Contact REVS to ensure it has a clear title.
- GET INFO - Use the net to search for common problems with the model. How much will service and repairs cost you? An older prestige car can often cost dramatically more to repair than a new one.
- BID WISELY - Set yourself a maximum and don't exceed it. There will always be another one!