LEGAL REQUIREMENTS FOR TRANSFERRING A COMPUTER PRE-INSTALLED WITH MICROSOFT WINDOWS
Buyers of second-hand computers pre-installed with Microsoft Windows must be aware of the legal requirements for transferring the software license. Failure to comply with these requirements may result in an infringement of copyright.
The following items must be supplied when transferring a computer pre-installed with Windows:
- For Microsoft Windows releases prior to XP Service Pack 2
- End User License Agreement (Eula) (in some cases it can be accessed within the software)
- Original installation CD
- Original software documentation
- A Certificate Of Authenticity (COA) label attached to the computer, if applicable
- For Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 and later releases
- A Certificate of Authenticity (COA) label attached to the computer
Note: With the release of Windows XP Service Pack 2 the words “Proof of License” began appearing on COA labels. A genuine COA label with the words “Proof of License” constitutes proof of ownership of a licence.
LINKS & RESOURCES
For more information click on the following link: Links & Resources