PAYPAL LOGIN SCAM & IDENTITY THEFT - How NOT to be a victim of scammers and what to do if you have been.
I know these scams have been around a long time but lately we have been receiving an increasing number of them, and we wanted to alert the ebay community.
Since most regular ebay users have a paypal account this information may be very valuable.
Here's how it works:
- It will present itself in a very official email of the receipt of a paypal payment from your account.
- When you open it , a very authentic looking paypal statement will appear.
- It will be for an item that you haven't bought or even looked at, and will be for a more than nominal amount.
- On this invoice there will be a button that states if you did not pay for this item click here, on the premise that you will be opening a dispute.
- The next page you will see will be a VERY authentic looking paypal login page-very familiar to all paypal users.
- After entering account, password and login button , you will land on an empty link and you may even backscreen and make another attempt.
- What you have essentially just done is furnish an unscrupulous individual with access to your paypal account and all banking items that may be linked to it, including a wealth of personal information.
- In doing this make sure you login with the link that is available on the left column of your my ebay page, as this is probably your most secure link.
- You should always access your paypal account from your ebay page.
- Keep in mind that these type of scams are very hard to detect and for the most part are originating outside Australia, from cybercafes and untraceable IP addresses.
If this guide was helpful please click the yes button below.