Cleansing a crystal prior to use is necessary to remove any negative enegies that may have been absorbed by the crystal. this prevents these energies being passed on. Cleansing also re-energises the crystal. After using the crystals make sure they are cleansed/re-energised again ready for next time.
Some methods for cleansing crystals are:
- Running water: hold the crystal under running tap water for a few minutes.
- Immersed in sea or salt water.
- Moonlight or sunlight: after cleansing in running water leave crystal in the sunlight or moonlight for 24 hours.
- Cluster of friable-sea or rock salt overnight: place on a crystal cluster or on rock salt overnight.
- Smudging: this involves passing the crystals through the smoke of a burning bundle of dried herbs or the smoke of a candle.
- Place crystals on clear quartz.
- Visualisation: visualise white light pouring over the crystal, emptying all the negative energies.
- Sound: ring a bell over crystals one at a time.
- Bury the crystal in the earth.
As some crystals are soluble in water, and/or sensitive to light and heat check prior to cleansing to prevent any damage to the crystals.
Avoid contact with water: Halite, Selenite, Lapis Lazuli is porous so do not soak and dry after cleaning. Malachite is only to be cleansed in cool water. Do not soak Turquoise.
Light sensitive crystals: Amethyst, Rose Quartz, Turquoise.
Heat sensitive crystals: Amethyst, Quartz, Lapis Lazuli avoid high heat. Malachite avoid sudden temperature changes. Tourmaline's colour changes with high heat and Turquoise is sensitive to all heat.