Fun Trivia on the History of some Chocolates and Sweets.
* Chocolate - is the number one foodstuff in the world, beating Vanilla and Banana by 3 to 1.
* M&M's sweets were launched in military ration packs in 1940. It was said to be a convenient snack that travelled well in any climate. Hence their slogan "Melts in your mouth not in your hand".
* The first chocolate box was introduced by Richard Cadbury in 1868, when he decorated a candy box with a painting of his young daughter holding a kitten in her arms. He also introduced 'ambitious' designs from his own paintings. These proved to be very popular.
* Pepsi-Cola was invented by Caleb Bradham (a young pharmacist) in 1890. 'Brad's Drink' was used as a digestive aid and energy booster. It was renamed Pepsi-Cola in 1898 after the pepsin and cola nuts used in the recipe.
* Napoleon reportedly carried chocolate on all his military campaigns.
* In 1875, after experimenting for 8 years, Daniel Peter of Switzerland added milk to his recipe to create chocolate as we know it today. He then sold his creation to his neighbour, Henri Nestle. Chocolate became Nestle 's second best selling product after World War 1.
This information was kindly referenced from - The Distributors - Retail Edge Magazine, February 2007