An amplifier is a piece of audio equipment, which can have all kinds of highly useful applications. Amplifiers can be used with home theatre systems, sets of speakers and other audio equipment in order to enhance the experience. Amplifiers can be found that offer a range of different features, such as hi-definition sound, connectivity to a range of other audio devices and other useful features.
A key method of differentiating amplifiers is by their classification. Class D amplifiers feature binary power, with all powered features either on or off. Some of the advantages of class D amplifiers include a lighter weight and lower power consumption. A wide range of amplifiers can be found on eBay.
Class D Amplifiers
Class D amplifiers are a specific type of amplifier, where all power devices are operated as binary switches, which means that device is either on or off. Class D amplifiers can be particularly suited to a variety of different applications, which other classes of amplifiers may perform less successfully.
· Class D amplifiers can often be used as active subwoofers. Subwoofers are speakers, which are dedicated to the production of the low pitch frequencies that are typically referred to as 'bass'.
· This type of amplifier is also a popular choice for use in home theatre systems due to their simple performance requirements. Many of the more affordable, pre-packaged home theatre systems that are available make use of a built in class D amplifier.
· Class D amplifiers are also often used in 'sound reinforcement'. Sound reinforcements systems use a combination of microphones, speakers and other audio equipment in order to strengthen and distribute live sound over a larger area.
· Many amplifiers designed for use with bass instruments, such as the bass guitar or double bass, are class D.
Class D amplifiers can also bring a number of advantages, which other classes of amplifier do not offer. These include:
· One of the primary benefits of Class D amplifiers is that they are often much smaller and lighter than many other types of amplifier. This makes class D amplifiers a good choice for any applications which require regular transportation of the amplifier, or if the amplifier needs to be kept separate.
· Class D amplifiers also have a higher energy efficiency than other types, with much less power wasted. This also results in less heat being produced by the amplifier, meaning that many class D amplifiers do not require heat sinks.
· Due to the smaller size of many class D amplifiers, as well as the fact they need smaller, or sometimes no heat sinks, class D amplifiers are also often much more affordable than other types of amplifier.
Key Specifications of a Class D Amplifier
There are a number of key specifications that should be taken into account when considering purchasing an amplifier.
· The power rating of an amplifier is a key aspect of any amplifier. Measured in watts, the power rating determines how powerful the amplifier will ultimately be. The power required from an amplifier depends on the size of the space it is to be used in, as well as the intended application of the device.
· The speakers and any other audio equipment that the amplifier is to be connected to should also be taken into account. An amplifier with too high a power may damage speakers and subwoofers, whereas too little power can diminish the quality of the audio. Most amplifiers used in the home have a power rating of around 200W.
· The connectivity of an amplifier should also be considered, and both the number and types of inputs and outputs should be considered. Too few connection points could mean that needed devices cannot be connected, while incorrect connectors may not work. A range of audio adapters is available, and can help to overcome any compatibility issues.
· Many amplifiers will include a THD measurement, standing for Total Harmonic Distortion. This represents the amount of distortion present. A THD of around 0.1% is often considered very good, while higher numbers offer less sound quality.
Class D amplifiers can offer a variety of features that offer different benefits, and make an amplifier more suited to different uses. It is a good idea to consider additional features when purchasing an amplifier.
· Newer models of amplifier are often capable of decoding high definition sound, often with the use of an HDMI cable. This is a good choice for a sound system, which is to be used with a Blu-ray player or other device capable of playing high definition video, as this well help to ensure you can get the most out of your device.
· Some wireless amplifiers are also available. These work with wireless speakers, and do not require the use of cables to connect. This can help to make a set of speakers tidier, but can also be more difficult to set up. Wireless speakers will also require their own power source.
· Amplifiers are available that are designed for specific tasks. In particular, amplifiers designed for musical instruments like electric guitars are available. If an amplifier is needed for a specific purpose, purchasing a specifically designed amplifier will often result in a better level of performance.
· Some amplifiers may come with a set of speakers, or even with a speaker built in. The type or design of the speakers should also be taken into account when purchasing an amplifier.
· Amplifiers are available which are designed with an emphasis on portability, offering a built in battery.
How to Buy a Class D Amplifier on eBay
A wide range of amplifiers of all different types and offering a wide range of features and accessories can be found on eBay.
· Amplifiers can be arranged by categories, such as price, condition, item location and brand, which can help narrow down the available listings.
· Key information about an amplifier, such as the class, brand and any additional features, will often be prominently displayed in the item listing, making it easy to quickly see if an item meets any specific requirements.
· Further information on an item can be found on the item page, including information about the seller, such as item ratings and feedback reviews. This can help to ensure that a purchase can be made with confidence.
· If a particular class D amplifier is required, it may be easier and more effective to make use of the search function, which can be found at the top of every page. Entering a key word into the search bar will return results from across the whole site, or from within a specified category.
· Look out for any deals that may be available in the Electronics category.
Amplifiers are a widely popular piece of audio equipment, which can greatly enhance the experience of watching television, listening to music or playing a musical instrument. All kinds of amplifiers are available that can offer a range of different features, including HDMI inputs which offer high definition audio, and the capacity to connect to a large number of speakers, subwoofers and other audio equipment. Class D amplifiers are often more affordable, smaller and lighter than other types of amplifier, and a wide variety of class D amplifiers and other audio equipment can be found on eBay.