The bottom line is if you are purchasing a DVD from a Country other than Australia (that's where we're from!!) you should check your DVD player to make sure that it can play the movie, as there are differing regions & zones.
There are currently 6 global region codes that identify specific DVDs that are compatible with the players typically sold in that region. The majority of all current titles play in only one specific region unless otherwise noted. Listed below are the six regions.
- Region 1 - U.S., U.S. Territories, Canada, and Bermuda
- Region 2 - Japan, Europe, South Africa, and the Middle East, including Egypt
- Region 3 - Southeast Asia, East Asia, including Hong Kong
- Region 4 - Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Mexico, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean
- Region 5 - Former Soviet Union, Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
There are two major formats PAL & NTSC, there is also Secam format (mainly France).