Many people worry about the safe use of Essential Oils when they are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have any other serious health condition - and with good reason. Not all Essential Oils are suitable for everyone, all the time - and we should also be careful when using them around children and babies. Essential Oils are safe, but we should all understand how and when to be a little more careful with them...
General Safety & Precautions...
- If Essential Oils come into contact with the eyes, flush with a vegetable oil, and seek medical advice.
- Never ingest (swallow) any Essential Oil.
- Never apply any undiluted Essential Oil directly onto the skin, unless advised to do so by a medical professional.
- Keep Essential Oils out of reach of children.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or have any other pre-existing health condtition, ALWAYS consult your health care professional before using ANY Essential Oils on your skin. This is especially true for those who suffer from high blood pressure or epileptic/seizure disorders.
- Some Essential Oils can increase photosensitivity if applied to the skin before sun exposure - citrus oils in particular.
- Poisons Information Centre 13 11 26.
Pregnancy & Breastfeeding...
There is a lot of information available on this subject - in books and on the internet, and below is a basic guide to using oils safely during this special time. But please remember to ALWAYS check with your Doctor or Midwife before using ANY Essential Oils on your skin (ie. in a massage blend) whilst you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
1st Trimester - No Essential Oils are recommended for use topically (on your skin) during this time.
2nd & 3rd Trimester - Recommended oils are Grapefruit, Lavender, Lemon, Mandarin, Neroli, and Pettitgrain. Vapourising oils in an oil burner is a great way to help you relax. If you are using a massage blend, or bathing with oils, please use HALF the amount you would normally use, and ALWAYS check with your Doctor or Midwife first.
Breastfeeding - Same as 2nd & 3rd Trimester.
Some common Essential Oils to avoid during pregnancy...Aniseed, Basil, Chamomile (Roman & German), Clary Sage, Cedarwood, Cypress, Fennel, Geranium, Jasmine, Juniper Berry, Lemongrass, Marjoram, Nutmeg, Peppermint, Rosemary, Rose, Sage, Star Anise, Tarragon, Thuja, Thyme, Wormwood.
Essential Oils for Babies & Children...
Most Essential Oils are perfectly safe for our little ones. When making blends for massage or vapourisation, always use HALF the amount of Essential Oils that you would for yourself. Essential Oils are very potent, and a little bit goes a very long way.
For a great range of quality Essential Oils, Massage Oils and Aromatherapy Accessories, please visit our eBay Store... Health Be Natural Aromatherapy