The chances are high that you will encounter other replica or imitation brand names at some point as well.
Fake, counterfeit or replica Nike shoes and many other brand name products are a huge problem in general.
Everyone loses in the long run because the basis of counterfeiting is deceit. We don't really know what we are buying, how long it will last, or if it has been tested. It is becoming more and more difficult to tell the difference between real and fake products, but the quality of fakes will always be compromised.
Why are fakes sold on eBay?
Athletic shoes are a huge market, and it stands to reason that some less than reputable sellers would try to cash in on it by selling fakes and variants. If you're looking for authentic Nike shoes on eBay, it's best to play it safe...
"Black market" fakes are not made by the actual company, instead they are manufactured from stolen moulds by companies who do not have the rights to produce them. They are illegal to make and distribute.
Most Nike shoes are actually made in Asian countries, however, the new fake shoes coming from Asia are very close reproductions in looks, but not in physical attributes and quality.
From what I've heard, (anyone can correct me if I am wrong) an employee working in a licensed Nike factory in Asia steals the mould for a certain style of shoe and sells it to another random counterfeiting factory. The main difference is that they don't use the same high quality material that Nike does. In some cases the shoes fall apart in the first few days.
Agents in Asia who make these fake shoes will try to sell them on eBay, often encouraging Australian eBay sellers to buy fakes from their websites.
This is a dangerous risk for Australian sellers and buyers if customs discovers them. The shipment can be seized and destroyed. The Nike company will probably be notified, and you could possibly be fined and taken to the Federal Court.
How do you tell if they are real or fake?
Before you buy Nike shoes on eBay, here are some suggestions to look out for:
- Always check the seller's feedback. Surprisingly it can sometimes be 100% positive. Do not rely solely on feedback to help you decide if a product is authentic or not. However, look closely for Neutral and Negative feedback comments.
- You should always read the description and shipping terms carefully. Quite often they will state them to be authentic when the reality is they have no idea. If they are being shipped from Asia....Buyer Beware! If they are not stated as authentic, ask the seller a question.
- For some bizarre reason, most sellers of fakes do not stock men's USA size 9 or size 13 and above. Also women's size 9 and above are extremely hard to come by.
- Sometimes fakes will not fit true to size, but run about half a size smaller than usual. Authentic Nike shoes always run true to size.
- The sole should be made from real BRS 1000 rubber. It should feel like rubber! On most fakes, the sole feels quite plastic or slippery which can be dangerous if the shoes are intended for sports use.
- If you see a pair of Nike shoes on eBay and they are being sent, supplied or drop-shipped from anywhere in Asia (China, Hong Kong or the Philippines) they potentially going to be fakes.
- If the seller sends their shoes from Hong Kong and/or China via EMS and state that it will take from 7-14 days or longer for you to get your order. This means that you are most likely buying fakes, and are also stuck with any possible customs fees or worse.
- Do the shoes come with the box? Most Fakes won't come in their original shoe box. If the seller says there is no box just to save postage costs, this is questionable. Shoe boxes really don't weigh much at all. However, they may legitimately not have the original box.
- If they do come with the shoe box, the cardboard box of many fakes may be quite flimsy, crush anf tear easily, and fall apart quickly. Authentic Nike shoe boxes are actually very sturdy.
- Most importantly, all authentic Nike shoes have unique SKU style numbers. The box will have an SKU number that looks like the photos below.The SKU should be exactly the same as the SKU number on the label inside the actual shoes. If they are not exactly the same numbers, the shoes will more than likely be fake.
- Be very cautious who you purchase from and don't be afraid to ask questions to the seller about authenticity. It sounds elementary, but you may be surprised at the responses you receive. A naive seller may still tell you they are authentic simply because they were 'assured' they were real by the counterfeiter in Asia.
- If the price seems far too good to be true then it probably is.
AUTHENTIC MEN'S NIKE SHOES:
AUTHENTIC WOMEN'S NIKE SHOES:
AUTHENTIC WOMEN'S NIKE SHOES:
If you are lucky enough to even receive the shoes you are going to be seriously disappointed. Although the look of some fake shoes is getting better, the quality remains the same which is horrendous. Beauty is only skin deep.
There are some awesome deals on eBay, I want a good deal and value for money regardless of the amount paid. However I put a premium on value for money. If it is a fake, then I am the loser! Please be aware that there are far too many fakes and really not many genuine and authentic Nike shoes. In particular, Nike Shox and Nike Air Max. I also realize that there are some people who don't really care if they buy fakes as long as the shoes look good.
Although eBay has a strong policy against selling fake items, it is almost impossible to regulate because of the enormous amount of items that could be considered fake.
If you are a victim of a fraudulent transaction, contact the seller immediately or report it to eBay and the appropriate authorities. If you are still unsure if you have been ripped off, simply take the shoes to your local Nike footwear retailer and ask them to give their opinion.
I hope that this information will prove helpful to those of you who read it. If there is anything you feel we should add, please let us know.
I hope you are now more equipped to recognize a scam and take your hard earned dollars elsewhere.
If you found this guide helpful, please click YES below.