Fettuccine with Fennel, Shrimp, and Peas Recipe
Stir-fry a colorful blend of shrimp, fennel, and snow peas and toss with pasta in a light wine sauce. This pasta dish says spring loud and clear.
Fettuccine with Fennel, Shrimp, and Peas
Makes 4 servings
Start to Finish: 25 minutes
6 ounces dried spinach fettuccine, plain fettuccine, or linguine pasta
1/2 of a small fennel bulb
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons olive oil
16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Salt and ground black pepper (optional)
1/4 cup dry white wine
2/3 cup fresh snow pea pods, trimmed and bias cut
1/4 cup sliced green onion
1 orange, peeled, segmented, and chopped
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; return pasta to pan.
2. Trim fennel, reserving enough of the green fronds to make 3 tablespoons when snipped; set aside. Thinly slice fennel bulb half and the first 2 inches of stalks. Discard the remaining stalks. Stir together the chicken broth and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside.
3. Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Cook shrimp and sliced fennel in hot oil over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp are just cooked through; add salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Add wine; simmer mixture until liquid is reduced to about 1 tablespoon.
4. Add broth mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened and bubbly. Remove pan from heat; stir in pea pods and green onion.
5. Toss shrimp mixture with pasta and orange pieces. Arrange on individual pasta plates. Sprinkle with reserved snipped fennel fronds. Makes 4 servings.