Being a seller for the past 8 years, I have created a step by step guide of how I organise my sales using Microsoft Outlook to keep track of emails.
- STEP 1
- Create the following folders in Outlook
- For Sale
- Post Today
- Ready To Post or Sold
- STEP 2
- When you create an auction, the eBay listing confirmed email goes straight into the For Sale folder.
- STEP 3
- When you make a sale, create a subfolder in Ready To Post where all related items go. So if you have sold "Making Bread", create a folder with that name. Do a search in For Sale to find your listing confirmed email and place it in the new folder.
- STEP 4
- Any correspondence you receive - messages from the buyer, emails you have sent to the buyer all go in the related file.
- STEP 5
- Once payment has been received, move the folder from Ready To Post up to Post Today. This is especially easy when you have multiple auctions that payments have come in for. You can sort out the payments, then deal with the packing.
- STEP 6
- Sit down and do all your packing from the Post Today list.
- STEP 7
- Once you have packed the item, send a short email to the buyer and move the whole folder into Completed. I have in Completed subfolders by month, keeping 3 months at a time and deleting anything older. This way, if there is a dispute you can easily go back to the item in question and refer to any emails you have sent or received.
Depending on the volume of sales, you may wish do away with the Post Today folder. The system is easily adaptable to your needs and I find it's the easiest way to organise everything, without having hundreds of emails in your Inbox, or losing an important email where you may have given someone a special postage quote, etc.
Carla's Big Book Shed