1. Begin searching fashion magazines and local stores at least four months prior to the prom.
2. Try on every dress that you see in stores to determine what is in style this year, and to gauge your size.
3. Choose a basic style and color scheme that you like.
4. Ask dress boutiques if they carry catalogs for dresses that are not in stock, but that can be ordered direct from the designer.
5. Consider hiring a seamstress to create a one-of-a-kind gown for you. Purchase the fabric yourself, then work with the seamstress to develop the perfect design for your body type.
6. Look online. A growing number of Web sites feature virtual fitting rooms, and a seemingly endless supply of dresses and gowns, most of which can be shipped straight to your front door.
Things You'll Need
Women's Closed-toed Shoes
Prom/ Formal Gowns
Women's Dress Shoes