1. Research the type of dress you want. Know what you’re looking for before you start looking for dresses for sale, but don’t have your heart set on something really specific.2. Research the market. On online auctions, you can “watch” other sales which will give you a much better idea of what you can expect to spend. Take at least a couple of weeks to get a good idea of what these dresses are selling for.
3. Set a budget. (Keep in mind that you may also have to purchase a veil, petticoat, shoes, and underwear as well. You are likely to also have to get a professional fitting before the wedding.)
4. Have your measurements taken by a professional so that you will have them available when you purchase your dress. Make sure that you a wearing the same type of bra that you’ll wear under your gown.
5. Research the seller. If you’re looking on an auction site, read the seller’s feedback, make sure they’ve sold wedding gowns before, and make sure that the recipients of those gowns have been happy with their purchases.
6. Ensure that the dress will arrive will plenty of time to spare before your wedding.
7. Look at pictures from the front, back and side. (Keep in mind that the pictures for “new” dresses are probably rip-offs from big wedding gown designers, so don’t expect your dress to be identical)
8. Ask questions. Is the dress used? Is it made to suit your measurements? Does it require a petticoat to be purchased separately? Can a veil be made to match? Is it white or ivory? What material is it made of? What material is the detailing made of? Does it have a zipper, corset, or buttons to do it up?
9. Once you’ve chosen a gown you like, join the auction without going over your budget, or use the “buy now” option if you’re happy with the offered price.
10. When paying for any big item online, it’s best if you can pay using some kind of safe-trader system. This is where you pay a safe-trader company the price of the item, the company advises the seller that you’ve paid and it’s paid to the seller once the item has been delivered. This is good for peace-of-mind.
11. As soon as the dress arrives, check for any defects and have these sorted out with the seller ASAP. If the seller does not fix it herself, she may give you a gift or partial refund to cover the cost of having the work done.
12. Look gorgeous on your wedding day!!