Headlights are crucial to safe driving at night and during inclement weather such as rain, fog, and snow. Many accidents that happen at night are caused by a driver’s inability to see properly. While headlights should provide 45.72 metres or more of visibility directly ahead of the vehicle, a burned out or damaged headlight bulb can reduce visibility to 15.24 metres or less. Fortunately, changing a dim or burned-out headlight bulb in a Hyundai Elantra only requires a few simple steps.
Checking the Headlights
Checking the headlights should be a regular part of a Hyundai Elantra’s maintenance. Determine whether the headlight bulbs need changing or if dim light stems from another problem by taking these steps:
- Observe the front of the Hyundai Elantra in broad daylight with the headlights off. If headlights are cloudy, dull looking, or appear to have internal condensation, they warrant replacing. Faded lenses block the light needed to safely see the road at night or under other poor lighting conditions. Visibility may be reduced by as much as two-thirds, making it difficult to avoid a dog, deer, or other obstacle in the road. Faded and cloudy lenses should be cleaned or refinished so they are clear and allow light to pass through. Changing the bulb will have no effect on dim light caused by clouded or damaged lenses.
- Turn on headlights at night while the Elantra is parked in a large, open space. Observing the headlights from about 50 feet in front of the vehicle will determine whether the lights are equally bright and aimed properly. Flickering, dimness, or a greyish shadow are all signs that a bulb is getting close to the end of its life and should be replaced. Headlights should be observed on both low and high beam to determine which of the separate bulbs are burned out. The low-beam bulb is closest to the outside of the Elantra, while the high-beam bulb is closest to the centre of the car.
Purchasing Headlight Bulbs
When changing the headlight bulbs in a Hyundai Elantra, first determine whether high- or low-beam bulbs are needed, and obtain the correct bulb. Be ready with the correct year of the Hyundai Elantra to ensure the proper bulb is purchased. Decisions between halogen, xenon, or LED light bulbs will need to be made. Halogen is the most common headlight used by vehicles, but alternatives can save energy and fuel consumption or produce a brighter light. Xenon lights use high-voltage current instead of a metal filament and produce brighter light. LED headlights use less electricity, thereby reducing the drain on the battery. LEDs reduces glare by more closely imitating daylight.
Installing the Headlight Bulb
Installing a headlight bulb on a Hyundai Elantra doesn’t require any special tools or skills, and the process can be completed in a few steps:
- Open the hood of the Hyundai Elantra and locate the access panel cap. Rotate the cap counterclockwise to remove it. Set aside.
- Pull the headlight bulb toward you and pull the locking pin that holds it in place back.
- Pull the headlight bulb out of the assembly and disconnect the old bulb by unplugging it and pulling it free from the socket.
- Grasp the new bulb by the metal base, taking care not to touch the glass with bare fingers. Skin oil makes smudges that compromise light quality and may contribute to shorter bulb life. Hold the bulb in a cloth or wear lightweight gloves. Should the bulb accidentally contact skin oils, wipe it clean with a lint-free cloth.
- Plug the new bulb into the socket.
- Reinsert the bulb assembly into the headlight assembly, pulling the locking pin back to ensure the headlight bulb is seated properly.
- Return the locking pin to its original position to hold the bulb securely in place within the headlight assembly.
- Screw the access panel cap back in place, turning it clockwise until it is snug.
How to Buy Headlights on eBay
eBay provides a number of options for those looking to purchase headlight bulbs for the Hyundai Elantra online. From the website’s main page, buyers can navigate to eBay Motors and click on Parts and Accessories. Buyers should make sure that Car and Truck is selected and enter “Hyundai Elantra headlight bulb” in the search box. Before purchasing, it is important to check the seller’s listing to ensure the bulb is the correct one for the model of Hyundai Elantra in question. Some sellers sell the bulbs in pairs. Keep the spare in the glove box, in order to be replace a burned-out bulb in a snap anytime.
Changing headlight bulbs in an Hyundai Elantra is easily done without the need of special tools. Buyers should be careful to select the appropriate bulb for their model of Elantra, and search for deals on bulbs on eBay.