Despite the fact that standard hard disk drives on computers and laptops have 1TB of storage capacity, for some people, it is still less. Programs now need more space; music, video, and image files of HD need more storage space since they quickly consume storage capacity. Fortunately, PCs are easy to upgrade in terms of storage space. Users can install a second SATA hard drive and increase the amount of space on their disks. Sellers on eBay stock a diverse selection of SATA hard drives to help PC users increase the functionality of their computers without needing to invest in a new device.
Installing a Second SATA Hard Disk Drive
The modern SATA hard disk drive comes with serial bus type of data transfer system making it easier to install a secondary storage drive. It is easier to work with this type of system than the earlier version that was a parallel EIDE bus. Users avoid the hassles of configuring jumpers because in case of a point-to-point bus, only one device can connect to a particular channel.
What it is Necessary to Install a Second SATA Hard Drive
A PC user only needs the following objects to install a second SATA hard drive:
- A screwdriver and a couple of screws to mount the drive
- A spare SATA port on the motherboard with a compatible host adapter or a connector to mount the second drive
- A SATA interface cable
- A SATA-compatible power cable or adapter to connect the drive to the port
- A Windows version with FAT32 or NTFS system
Steps to Install a Second SATA Hard Drive
There are two main steps in installing a second SATA hard drive are physically mounting the drive on the motherboard and then configuring it within the system if the computer does not detect the drive automatically.
To mount the second SATA drive on the motherboard, the user needs to work in the following order:
- The user should wear a wrist strap and a cable that connects to the ground because hard drives are sensitive to static electricity.
- Turn off the power to the computer before beginning the installation process.
- Affix one end of the drive interface cable to the SATA interface connector or the host adapter. Their locations are usually available in the user's manual.
- The interface and the power cable should now attach to the SATA drive.
- The drive secures in its position using the mounting screws.
The PC may or may not recognise the drive after mounting it on the motherboard. Because the modern SATA drives do not require a "master/slave" relationship, the user needs to specify to the BIOS or the CMOS, from which drive to boot. To configure the second SATA hard drive, the user should carry out the following steps:
- The user should restart the computer and run the BIO setup by pressing the DELETE, F1, or ESC key thrice.
- The option to detect the newly installed drive automatically should be checked.
- The new settings should save before exiting the setup.
Troubleshooting a Second SATA Hard Drive Installation
Although installing a second SATA hard drive is easy because the operating system does not need reinstallation, users may sometimes encounter problems after the drive installs.
While troubleshooting the installation of a secondary SATA hard drive, PC users may keep a backup of the data as an additional precautionary measure.
How to Buy SATA Hard Drives on eBay
Buying SATA hard drives for desktop computers on eBay saves time, money, and effort. Type 'SATA hard drive' in the search field on top of a page, and you will see a list of such storage devices with different specifications and from different manufacturers. Alternatively, you can type the name of the brand of hard drive in the search field, like Seagate, to obtain more focused results. Data on a SATA hard drive is also easily erasable so that a user can sell or exchange his existing drive for a newer and more advanced model.
A second SATA hard drive improves the functionality of a computer and lets the user make the most of his IT investment.