Fitting and hanging a door can be an involving task, and a number of steps are necessary in order to ensure that a door is properly hanged. This task may also require a number of tools. The door has to be cut down to size to properly fit, bearing in mind the thickness of carpet, if the door is being placed in a carpeted room. Hinges will also be needed, and be properly secured to both the door and the door frame. The door may also have to be painted, and a handle fitted. A wide variety of doors and door hardware can be found on eBay.
Removing the Old Door
When replacing a door, the first step to remove the old door.
· Use a screwdriver to unscrew the door. It is important here to ensure that the door remains properly supported as the screws are removed, otherwise it may fall.
· Remove the screws from the bottom hinge first.
· Ensure that all screws have been fully removed from the door frame before attempting to remove the frame, as this may cause damage to the doorframe, which can be difficult to repair.
· If the hinges and screws have been painted over simply chip away at the paint until the screws can be removed.
Cut Down the New Door to Fit
It is usually necessary to cut a new door down before it is fitted, in order to ensure that it fits and can open and close smoothly.
· A number of different tools can be highly useful in this process, including a saw and planer. A planer is useful if only a small amount of wood needs to be removed, while a saw will be required for larger amounts.
· If the old door fits well, it can be used as a template for cutting down the new door. Lay it on top of the new door and mark out what needs to be cut.
· An equal amount of wood should be removed from the top and bottom of the door, in order to keep it even.
· Remember to allow an additional space at the bottom of the door if the floor is carpeted. Between 5 and 10mm should be allowed for thicker carpets.
· If using a saw, it is advisable to wear safety equipment, such as a mask and safety goggles, in order to protect from dust.
· Once the excess wood has been removed and the door has been fully cut down to size, use sanding paper, or an electric sander, to smooth down the wood and prepare the door for being fixed into place.
Fixing the Hinges in Place
The next step is to fix the hinges onto the door and the door frame. It is important to ensure they are properly aligned, as if they are not the door will not fit or open properly.
Fixing the Hinges to the Frame
· The first step is to fix the hinges to the door frame. Hold the new ones up to the old hinges to ensure they fit, and cut away any excess wood if necessary.
· Screw the new hinges into the frame, and then open them. The edges of the hinges should stick out from the frame edge.
· Now hold up the door against the frame, with wedges in place to make up for any wood that has been removed. Use a pencil to mark out where the hinges are, to ensure that they will align.
Fixing the Hinges to the Door
· Remove the hinges from the frame and place them on the door, ensuring they line up with the pencil markings.
· Draw around the edges of the hinges with a pencil. Then, using a chisel and mallet, cut out the recesses which are required to fit the hinges properly. Be sure to keep hands and arms behind the sharp edge of the chisel, and to have the sloped edge facing towards the wood that is being removed.
· Use the screw or a bradawl to create a starter hole.
Hang the Door from the Frame
With the hinges securely fixed to the door, it is now time to screw the hinges to the frame, and hang the door.
· Place the door against the frame, making use of wedges to hold the door up at the height it will be at when fully fixed into place.
· It can be helpful to only use one screw in each hinge at this point, as if more wood needs to be removed, it will be easier to take the door down again.
· Try opening and closing the door, paying attention to how smoothly it moves and how easy it is to move. If the door opens and closes satisfactorily, then screw in the remaining screws.
Finishing the Door
Now it is possible to finish the door, by painting it and fitting a door handle if needed.
· Before painting the door, clean it and ensure that there is no wood dust or other debris still covering the door.
· Knotting solution can also be used to prevent resin seeping out of any knots present in the wood during painting.
How to Buy a Door on eBay
A wide range of doors, door hardware and the tools required to fit them can be found on eBay.
· The full listing of available doors can be found in the Building Materials, DIY category of the Home & Garden section. Doors, as well as handles, locks and other similar items can be found under Doors, Door Hardware.
· The listings can be arranged by categories such as product type, price, condition and item location.
· Key information about a door, such as its size and the materials used, will often be prominently displayed in the item listing, making it easy to quickly see if a door meets any specific requirements.
· More detailed information about an item can be found on the item page. This includes information about the seller, such as item reviews and feedback ratings, which can help to ensure that a purchase can be made with confidence.
· If a specific size or type of door is required, it may be easier to use the search function, which is available at the top of every page. Entering a keyword into the search bar will return results from across the site, or from within a specified category.
· Look out for any deals which may be available on doors and door hardware in the Home & Lifestyle category.
It is important to properly fit and hang a door in order to ensure that it will open and close properly, as it can be time consuming and difficult to rectify any errors. It is possible to use the old door, if it was a proper fit, as a template to cut down a door to the correct size. It is also important to consider the thickness of any carpet, and any additional items which may be needed, such as handles or locks. A wide range of doors, and the tools which will be needed to fit one, can be found on eBay.