It’s already gearing up to be a busy Christmas period! If you’re like me, you’ll be receiving lots of invites to parties, Christmas celebrations at the office or out with friends, dinners & functions. And just as you recover from Christmas, it’s time to think about the New Year’s Eve party! I just love this time of year, don’t you? Then if you’re lucky you may be going on a holiday to some nice tropical hideaway to chill out & recover. With all this happening, you may also be shopping for Christmas gifts and catering to unexpected guests who decided to drop by to catch up before Christmas. What are you going to wear?!
You may prefer to shop online especially at this time of the year. It’s so much more fun shopping from home while sipping G&T & listening to nice music & have all your shopping delivered. No crowds to trip over and fight with over the last scraps of good stock, no driving around for 40 minutes trying to find a park, no screaming exhausted kids whining that they want yet another toy they saw (or my favorite, just as your trolley is getting full they want to go to the toilet, so you have to wait in a line that goes all the way to McDonalds, then the kids see MacDonald’s and all of a sudden they don’t need to go anymore but want a Mac Happy meal!) UGH! I need another G&T just thinking about it LOL
Just a tip, Australia Post does get overloaded at this time of the year so do allow yourself extra couple of days for delivery, and do pay that $2 extra to take up the express post or registered post option for peace of mind.
Now is the time to do a quick once over of your wardrobe. Now is the time to plan your outfits for all the get-togethers & parties coming up. You’ll need less then an hour, so pick a quiet time, take the phone off the hook, put on some party music and pour yourself a glass of bubbly to get in the party mood. Now open your wardrobe.
You have 10 minutes to quickly flick through your wardrobe, look at every piece of clothing you have and separate them into two piles (do this quickly, don’t dwell too much on it, and trust your instincts)
- Pull out anything you haven’t worn in the past 12 months or that no longer fits and pop it in the charity (or sell on eBay) box. If you haven’t worn it for so long, it’s unlikely to be worn again unless it’s a ski outfit and you plan to go skiing again in the future.
- Pull out anything that needs dry-cleaning, washing ironing or mending and pop it in the laundry basket (I keep my mending & sewing basket next to my favorite lounge chair. Every time I sit down to watch a movie, I pull out my mending so you don’t have to set aside any special time to do it). Do the same for shoes, any that look like they’ve been around the boxing ring one too many rounds chuck out. Any heels that need fixing take down to your local shoe repairer. Give the rest a clean and a polish. You want to have all your clothes & shoes ready to go at this time of year, there are always some last minute invitations and you want to be ready to go!
Have a look at what you have and determine what pieces you need to update your wardrobe for the festive season. Here are suggestions:
- Have one sparkly clutch in your favorite colours. My favorite is silver either metallic or sequin as silver is very current and goes with anything
- Same goes for shoes, make sure you have pair of a fabulous sparkly metallic flats and a pair in heels, again silver is very much in and goes with everything
- You need a cute short cocktail dress ideally in satin and in an 80’s geometric print. Go for this season’s hottest colours in black & white, electric blue or yellow
- This season’s MUST have is a long maxi dress. There is a huge variety to choose from, from the elegant to the feminine, folkloric & the 80’s dramatic prints. Maxi dresses were originally worn in the 70’s during the day as well as at night to parties and they have made a huge come back this season. I just love maxi’s, they are so cool & comfortable to wear and super sexy. These are great to wear to any setting really, depending on the style. BBQ’s, parties, evening functions or the tropical resort.
- Have one smart casual dress to wear to the office party
Next, after you have purchased the few key items you need to update your wardrobe, set out a little time to try different combinations on. Make sure they fit and make any adjustments you need. Choose your accessories and jewellery and appropriate underwear to go with the outfit and make a note to stick up on your wardrobe. Better still, lay out your outfit on your bed, with all the matching accessories and jewellery and take a photo. Do this for each outfit set. Stick the photos up inside your wardrobe doors, so if you’re in a hurry you don’t need to pull everything out and try everything on, it’s already been done for you and it’s all planned out there before you. Too easy!
Finally, it’s time to enjoy the festive season and have a fabulous time! You are going to look fabulous and feel relaxed because your whole wardrobe was give a quick tidy up, everything is where it should be. Everything fits and is in good order, and your clothes look current. You have planned it all out leaving you more time to have fun and enjoy getting ready for the party. Cheers!
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!