This is a comprehensive guide on how to spot fake/counterfeit/replica MAC Cosmetics Eyeshadows and MAC Fluidline gel eyeliner on eBay.
As a fanatical MAC consumer for over a decade, and now a reseller of authentic MAC products through the eBay Store - Peach & Primrose, it is alarming to see the increasing number of counterfeit and fake MAC products currently listed on eBay, the most common of which are fake MAC eyeshadow palettes.
I have produced a series of eBay guides to assist buyers to easily identify the many fake MAC products listed on eBay, which include but are not limited to MAC Pro Palette eyeshadow pans, MAC eyeshadow palettes, MAC lipsticks, MAC foundation, MAC eyeshadow pots, and MAC Fluidline gel liners.
This series discusses the following fake/counterfeit/replica MAC products:
- MAC Eyeshadow Pots
- MAC Fluidline Eyeliner
Please also see my other guides which explain how to identify fake MAC eyeshadow palettes and lipstick.
Identifying a fake MAC single eyeshadow pot:
1. An authentic MAC eye shadows come in a small circular pot with only one compartment that can be opended – the lid.
- AUTHENTIC MAC EXAMPLE
2. Check the bottom of the eyeshadow pot - the sticker should look exactly as pictured below. The only item that will change is the colour name (Antiqued), the finish (Veluxe Pearl) and the batch number printed above the colour.
- AUTHENTIC MAC EXAMPLE
3. Fake MAC eyeshadow pots will often have 2 compartments – one compartment containing the eye shadow pan and another containing a mirror/sponge tip applicator.
- FAKE MAC Examples (notice the second compartment which has a sponge tip applicator and a mirror)
4. Look at the hinges on the eyeshadow pot, an authentic MAC eyeshadow pot will have a single hinge (see pot on the right).
FAKE MAC on the LEFT (double hinge), AUTHENTIC MAC on the RIGHT (single hinge)
Identifying a fake MAC Fluidline gel eyeliner:
1. An authentic MAC Fluidline Eyeliner Gel always comes WITHOUT a brush. If it has a brush included, it is FAKE.
2. The glass jar is round in shape, the eyeliner should be filled very close to the top of the pot and the black lid should have rounded edges and be slightly matte rather than high shine.
3. The shade colour (ie. Blacktrack, Dipdown, Macroviolet etc) should be on a sticker/printed on the box and on the bottom of the jar as pictured below.
3. An authentic MAC Fluidline Eyeliner Gel has the batch code etched on the box and on the sticker and these batch codes should match ie. B78 etc.
EXAMPLE - AUTHENTIC MAC Fluidline Eyeliner
EXAMPLE - FAKE MAC Fluidline Eyeliner
Other ways to verify an authentic MAC product:
All MAC products have a specific name, like Satin Taupe, Shroom, Vanilla, Oyster Girl, Russian Red, Ruby Woo etc., except for foundations that are usually a combination of 1 or 2 numbers followed by NC, NW, or C. They do not just have a general name like blue, white, red and are not named with numbers alone (ie. Eyeshadow #1).
Why you shouldn’t buy counterfeit MAC items.
Whether you agree or disagree with knowingly purchasing fake or replica products, you should at a minimum consider first and foremost the serious health implications involved with using a fake cosmetic product. Authentic MAC cosmetics have been demagogically tested and approved for cosmetic use. When you purchase a counterfeit product, you have no idea of what legal or illegal ingredients that have been used to make the product or the conditions the cosmetics have been prepared in. This has the potential to lead to rashes, allergic reactions and even burns to the skin, which basically defeats the purpose of using make up in the first place to enhance your beauty. Who wants to sport a rashy and swollen face for their big night out?!!
It's a good idea to check the MAC website for a product you’re thinking of buying. The reason is that many fake products don’t actually exist on the MAC website. You might purchase something only to discover later that MAC never made that eyeshadow, gloss, blush colour in any of their collections. Some products won’t appear on the MAC website because they are old or discontinued, in this case you can do a google search as these will often appear on makeup blogs and review sites.
As always, please check the sellers feedback and whether they are selling other suspicious items. Furthermore, one can check the buyers who left them positive feedback, to see if they have purchased MAC items in the past and if they would be able to tell the difference between real and fake! Remember, if the price seems too good to be true, then it probably is.
Reporting a counterfeit item to eBay:
If you purchase a fake please leave factual, calm and negative feedback to protect other bidders and keep Ebay SAFE from counterfeiters. You will also need to lodge a dispute and notify eBay/Paypal of the fraudulent transaction if the product has been listed as authentic and branded as MAC.
Listing a counterfeit item is against eBay policy and should be reported. If you come across any fakes on eBay, please take down the Item Number and report them to eBay at the following link - http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html