Making money is 90% thought and 10% know-how. When I work with clients, I find the first major hurdle to overcome is their belief system governing money. To change your financial position, the first thing you need to do is examine your attitudes, beliefs and thoughts about money. It is only the belief that money is a scarce resource that lessens your chances to achieve financial freedom.
The belief that money is a scarce resource is fundamentally unsound. From basic economics we know this. If money was a scarce resource, economies would never increase or decrease - only the wealth distribution would change. What causes economies to grow is the relative output and productivity of that country or community.
To cultivate "right thinking" regarding money, you need to reassure yourself that there is always plenty of money. Have you ever stopped to imagine how much money there is in the world today? How many hundreds of thousands of billions of dollars? There is definitely no scarcity ogf money. What you need is to change your perception of how money can be made available to you. Instead of worrying about how little money you have, you need to be saying, "How can I create more money today?" You need to expand rather than contract.
Wealthy people think expansively. They will make money regardless of whether the economy is going up or down. They look for opportunities. They are proactive. They are not afraid of failure and know that sometimes failure is part of the learning process. Wealthy people keep trying, poor people stop - or never make the attempt in the first place.
Here are a few useful tips:
- Fully utilise your own special skills and abilities. We all have special talents and traits that are valuable to others.
- Do those activities that utilise your special talents everyday, even as a hobby. Then you can gradually build them into a new venture opportunity.
- Invest in some extra training, if necessary, to improve your skills to qualify for greater income-producing opportunities.
- Change your own internal income ceiling. The best and surest way to do this is to reprogram it. That is why affirmations and visualization exercises are so effective. We all have a subconscious picture or belief system about what we can or cannot have, and sometimes we just get used to having only what we have had in the past.
- Stretch your beliefs. Write out new goals. Plan for new opportunities. Read inspirational books on goal setting and achievement.
Life will always throw up little challenges for you. You can succumb to them or you can continue regardless. Nothing can stop you when you have the right attitude and the right mind-set.
Ann Marosy is an accountant and former Fortune 500 financial controller. Ann is now a full-time writer and conducts workshops on money management practices. She is the author of The Money Program and Money Rules: The 7 Simple Rules of Money Management, now available at: FreedomBooks2000