Homecoming is a time to celebrate school spirit. There will be a ton of fun activities to rally your enthusiasm the week before, and of course, everyone will gather to cheer the football team on to victory. It's typically a lot less formal than prom, but still calls for a special dress.
1. Listen to the chatter amongst the upperclassmen if this is your first homecoming. Learn whether your school hosts a semiformal or just a dressy homecoming dance.
2. Give yourself plenty of options, and the opportunity to step out in a dress no other girl will be wearing. Visit the department stores and boutiques across town, or shop online for a selection of dresses not carried in your hometown shops.
3. Pass on the full-length dresses and look at styles that hit at, just above, or just below the knee. For more formal functions, consider dresses made of satin, velvet or a sequined knit.
4. Try on a sleeveless shift dress in cotton sateen or a short-sleeved jewel-neck dress in a shiny black jersey. When the fall temperatures are really low, pair one of these with a fuzzy angora sweater, and don't forget your coat.
5. Let prints or trims dress up an otherwise simply cut dress. Look for an off-the-shoulder dress with ruffled or fringed edging, or a knit dress with
rhinestone or beaded trim.