Smoked Chicken Quesadillas with Mango Salsa Recipe
Hip and fresh describe these chicken quesadillas. Serve 4 to 6 for a main dish or use them for your next party appetizer and serve 12.
Smoked Chicken Quesadillas with Mango Salsa
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Prep: 30 minutes
Start to Finish: 30 minutes
1/3 cup sliced red onion
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 firm-ripe mango, peeled, cut (avoiding pit) into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 ounces low-fat soft mild plain goat cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
8 (7-inch) low-fat flour tortillas
5 ounces purchased cooked smoked chicken breast or deli-sliced smoked turkey, coarsely chopped
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Toss together onion, 1 tablespoon juice, and the sugar in a small bowl. Marinate onion at room temperature, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, stir together mango, 1/4 cup cilantro, and 1 tablespoon juice in another bowl; salt and pepper to taste, for mango salsa.
3. Using a fork, stir together cheese, cumin, and remaining 1 tablespoon juice until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Spread cheese mixture on one side of each of 4 tortillas; top with onion, remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and the chicken. Cover with remaining tortillas, pressing together.
5. Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat. Cook each quesadilla, turning once, until golden brown and cheese begins to melt, about 3 minutes (add remaining oil as needed). Transfer to a cutting board and cut into wedges. Serve with mango salsa. Makes 4 to 6 servings.