When considering converting to a Synthetic Winch Rope there are a few things you need to know.
- Firstly it is very important that the rope is protected from the heat generated by the drum. This can be extremely high and can destroy your rope very quickly. Quality ropes are shielded. (More relevant to low mount winches, but still worth noting)
- Choose the appropriate thickness and length to best suit your needs.
- It is better to choose a shorter length as you get the strongest pull from the first layer of rope on the drum. To winch over a greater distance you should use a winch extension. This is a lot easier on yourself and the winch.
- Visibility is also very important. I have seen many people trip over the winch line. Choose a bright colour if possible.
- Winch ropes (and all recovery gear) should be cleaned regularly. Items can be washed in warm soapy water. When dry, inspect and pack correctly.
- An Aluminium Fairlead should be used with synthetic rope. Steel fairleads tend to be a little rougher and may damage your rope.
- Always ensure there is at least one layer of rope on the winch drum.
If you need any advice please feel free to contact me.
Also, if looking at ropes from overseas, consider the added cost of exchange rate, freight and import duty. It can be a nasty surprise.
Have fun in the bush and always practice safe techniques.