Having been there myself, I know how important it is to be organised for your wedding. Not just to keep you sane, but to make sure you get what you want within the time constraints of suppliers and service providers.
Here are my tips to getting organised and having a fun, stress free wedding:
Six to Twelve Months Prior...
- Decide on time, date and location of your wedding
- Venue for the reception and choice of caterers, if needed.
- Minister or celebrant
- Best Man, bridesmaid/s
- Size of guest list
- Book your photographer and/or video booking
- DJ/ Band/ Juke Box/ Other entertainment
- Speeches - never assume that someone will make a speech, ask them if they could
- Wedding Gown, bridesmaids, suits
- Honeymoon - start saving!
Three to Four Months Prior ...
- Decide on wedding stationery style, theme and wording. Don't forget that overseas guests will need to be advised at least three months in advance
- Purchase shoes, underwear and accessories
- Order Cake
- Prepare gift registry
- Check on all bridal party outfits - are they on time to be ready for the week before
- Double check the six to twelve month list to make sure you have missed nothing
Two Months Prior ...
- Send out invitations
- Lodge Declaration forms (you priest/ celebrant may do this for you)
- Purchase wedding rings
- Finalise honeymoon bookings
- Finalise Flowers
- Book hairdresser and make up appointment
- Ring photographer, meet with them to go through details
- Confirm menu details with caters/ reception venue
Four Weeks Prior ...
- Start wearing in your shoes (yes, so many brides and grooms don't and pay the price after a long day)
- Confirm all arrangements
- Final fitting for dress and all bridal party members
- Organise hens and buck nights
Two Weeks Prior ...
- Arrange haircuts for groom and groomsmen
- Finalise seating arrangements with reception venue
One Week Prior ...
- Write out speeches and practice them
- Have final hair and make up appointment
- Hold rehearsal; make sure everyone knows their role
- Double check all arrangements
- Arrange for a friend or relative to return all hired items after the wedding
The Day Before ...
Don't worry - if it isn't done by now its too late anyway so relax and have a good time.