This guide explains, step by step, how to enable black ink to come from the CLI-8 ink tank instead of the PGI-5BK ink tank which is useful when you have spare unused CLI-8BK ink tanks and don't know what to do with them. The Canon MP800 Series printer supported by a Windows XP Operating System is used as an example.
- Open the Windows Control Panel and double-click 'Printers and Faxes', then right-click your printer (in this case the 'Canon MP800 Series Printer'; a drop down menu appears, from it click the 'Printing Preferences...' option.
- The 'Main' tab of the 'Printing Preferences' screen is displayed with 'Plain Paper' as the current media type . Change the media type to 'High Resolution Paper' by selecting it from the media type dropdown list.
- Now change the setting for its 'Color/Intensity' from 'Auto' to 'Manual' by clicking the radio button that is to the left of the word 'Manual'. Once you do that the 'Set' button appears. Click the 'Set' button.
- After clicking the 'Set' button on the 'Main' tab, the 'Printing Preferences' screen disappears and the 'Manual Color Adjustment' screen is displayed.
- In the 'Color Balance' section of the 'Manual Color Adjustment' screen change the 'Black:' setting from 0 to -20. You do this by click the left hand side slide button until it reaches -20. If it was left at 0 it would be using excessive ink, more than necessary for the purpose of this excercise. At -20 your documents will have the same effect as if they had been printed from the PGI-5BK ink tank.
- After changing the 'Black:' to -20, click the 'OK' button and the 'Manual Color Adjustment' screen will close.
- The 'Printing Preferences' screen now reappears; click the 'Apply' button, then click the 'OK' button.
The Canon MP800 Series Printer will now be using the Black ink from the CLI-8BK ink tank instead of the PGI-5BK ink tank.
There is one drawback to my knowledge, printing documents will be slower just like if you were printing photos.
You can restore back to previous default settings by clicking the 'Defaults' button on the 'Main' tab of the 'Printing Preferences' screen, then clicking 'Apply' button followed by the 'OK' button.