Wax Tarts, or melts are used in an oil burner to release fabulous fragrances to create a wonderful atmosphere in your home, office, shop etc. The are called 'tarts' because they are often shaped like a small pastry tart. They are solid wax and do not have a wick. There are many brands and fragrances available, look out for them, once you try them you will continue to burn them in preference to oils.
The better brands release strong fragrance for at least 8 hours, and can be re-used until no fragrance is released. One of the best brands I have found is the Yankee Wax Tarts Potpourri, these have a fantastic 'scent throw'.
For those new to wax tarts, I have listed below a few tips on burning them, along with some safety issues that need to be addressed and watched.
- Place your oil burner in a safe, stable situation, away from drafts and anything flammable and also well out of the reach of children
- Unwrap and place the Wax Tart in the top of a dry oil burner - do not add water
- Light a tea light candle in the base of the oil burner and allow the wax tart to melt - when melted the wonderful aroma of the tart will be released into the room
- Don't forget to extinguish the tea light candle when leaving the room - never leave it unattended or within reach of children
- When the wax tart has cooled it will solidify again, you can either re-use the tart or gently tap the sides of the burner and most times the wax tart will pop out. If not place the oil burner in the freezer for a short time and try again
- You can discard the used wax tart or seal it in a plastic bag to re-use another time
- Wax tarts can also be used in an electric oil burner, please ensure that you electric burner has been safety tested
Remember, burning wax tarts involves a candle flame and hot melted wax; these two things can be very dangerous, so take extreme care and enjoy the wonderful fragrances that are available in wax tarts.
Remember, burning wax tarts involves a candle flame and hot melted wax; these two things can be very dangerous,
so take extreme care and enjoy the wonderful fragrances that are available in wax tarts.