If you find this Guide informative, please click the Yes button at the bottom of the page. Thank you.
Now that you've decided what kind of breast pump is right for you, you should then consider these critical factors which will help you narrow down your candidates to only a few final models.
Whether the pump...
- Has djustable vacuum suction for comfort
- Has variable pumping speeds or rhythms that mimic your baby's sucking to stimulate milk flow
- Is easy to use and clean
And most importantly, whether it is 100% safe and poses no health risk (i.e. BPA in plastic) to your baby.
Apart from these key factors, you should also take into account things like...
- Size and weight which will determine the pump's mobility
- Operation flexibility (i.e. electricity, batteries or manual)
- And the noise level.
These are important factors if you're going back to work and need to express during the day. A compact and quiet pump allows you to be discreet while expressing outside the comfort of your own home.
When buying a breast pump, you may wish to get accessories to help you get the most out of it. Some handy accessories are:
- Storage bags or bottles for collecting and storing your expressed milk. Make sure they are BPA free.
- Microwave bags which let you steam-clean pump parts in the microwave.
- A carrying bag with an insulated compartment and "blue ice" packs to keep your milk cool throughout the day when there's no fridge around.
- Breast shields or soft shields that massage the breast during pumping, soothe sore nipples and help increase milk flow.
- Disposable or washable bra pads to control leaking.
Enjoy breastfeeding and breast-pumping.
Please also check out my other Guides on related breastfeeding and breast pumping topics.
Hi my name is Pia and I'm a qualified early childhood teacher and long-time childcare professional who has worked directly with hundreds of babies, children and families in Australia and Canada over the past 8 years. Thanks for stopping by and reading my Guide. For more information, drop by my eBay Store and check out quality breastfeeding products I've personally picked for you.