Underwear is an indispensable part of every outfit. It has numerous important functions, including warmth, support, and hygiene, and is worn by almost everyone worldwide. Underwear can take many forms and shapes, and can also be made from many materials, each with distinct advantages and disadvantages. It is the intention of this guide to provide detailed information about the different materials from which underwear can be made, so that the reader will be able to make the right choice on their own.
This guide will focus specifically on men’s underwear. Further, this guide will closely examine the popular online auctioning platform, eBay, explaining the various factors that contribute towards it being the perfect place to shop for men’s underwear.
This section of the guide will list and provide information about the most commonly found materials used to make men’s underwear. Note: there are huge numbers of materials from which underwear can be made; this guide does not claim to list them all, only the ones most likely to be encountered by the reader.
- Cotton – cotton is by far the most commonly used material from which men’s underwear is made. Cotton is a soft substance that grows naturally as a protective layer around the seeds of its plant. It has been used for centuries in the manufacture of clothing, thanks to its properties. When weaved into fabric, cotton achieves a good balance of softness and comfort, structural integrity and strength, and flexibility and lightness. It is often woven together with other fabrics to improve its elasticity.
- Polyester – polyester is also one of the most widespread underwear materials. Polyester can contain natural chemicals, but is normally synthetically produced. Whilst polyester is often said not to feel as pleasant against the skin as cotton and other natural fibres, it has numerous advantages, including its durability and flexibility, and the ease with which it can be cleaned and dried. It, too, is often woven with other materials to create a balance of properties.
- Nylon – nylon is a synthetic material. Its creation was a relatively recent event; it was not until the early-mid 20th century that its manufacture first occurred. Nylon was created as a cheaper, easier to manage imitation of silk, as it shares many of silk’s properties. It is popular for its durability, resilience, and elasticity, as well as how easy it is to clean and maintain, making it an excellent choice for underwear. Again, it does not feel quite as pleasant against the skin as cotton.
- Wool – wool has been used for clothing for literally thousands of years, since the dawn of mankind. It has many properties that make it useful for making clothing, but in today’s world many more useful materials have been discovered, making wool comparatively obsolete. However, it is still often used for its comfortable and warm properties, blended with more practical fabrics to engineer a balance between these virtues.
- Spandex – commonly called Lycra, spandex is an incredibly elastic material, artificially created in 1959. Whilst it is not very comfortable on the skin when used on its own, it is mixed in small quantities into the weaves of other underwear fabrics to greatly increase their elasticity.
- Silk – silk is a naturally occurring substance, produced by a variety of insects and other invertebrates. Silk fabrics are extremely soft to the touch, making them very valuable, but are also expensive and difficult to care for. Silk underwear is a fashion statement, chosen for its aesthetic and textile values instead of its practicality.
- Satin – satin is a glossy, lustrous blend of other fabrics (including silk and cotton), with many of the same properties as silk.
- Leather – leather, made from tanned cow’s skin, is a tough, hard material, used throughout the ages for everything from boots to armour. Leather is not a comfortable choice, but may appeal to certain personal stylistic preferences.
Types of Men’s Underwear
This section of the guide will briefly outline the main types of men’s underwear.
- Boxer Shorts – boxer shorts are the most common form of men’s underwear, featuring an elasticised waistband and relatively baggy, low-hanging leg sections.
- Y-Fronts – also known as briefs, these are tight, with elasticised waistbands, and with leg sections that cut off near the groin to create the “Y” shape of the name.
- Jockstraps – jockstraps consist of little more than an elastic strap and a pouch.
- Trunks – trunks are essentially the same as boxer shorts, but tighter.
How to Buy Men’s Underwear on eBay
Using eBay, the popular online auctioning medium, is a terrific way of shopping for men’s underwear using the web. There are a huge number of sellers on the site, offering a massive array of products. The site is well designed, allowing the user to operate and navigate its many facets with ease. This section of the guide will explain how to get the best results using eBay.
A great starting point is, naturally, the eBay homepage. This is the hub of the site. There is a list of the broadest category levels, found at the left hand side of the page. This list consists of links. Follow the link titled Fashion, which will take the user to the Clothing, Shoes & Accessories page. Next, choose the Men’s Clothing Category from the subsequent list of links.
Finally, select the Underwear category. The item listings should now display only items that fit the description, ‘men’s underwear’. The search bar provides a quicker alternative to traversing the links; it is a simple matter of typing the appropriate words into the bar and either clicking ‘search’ or pressing enter.
Once the item listings display men’s underwear, the material can be selected using one of the numerous ‘filtering options’, which allow the user to customise their search by excluding items from the listings that do not mach their requirements. The filtering options are found in the left hand margin of the page, and include size, brand, colour, price, condition and seller’s location.
To choose the material, click the ‘Material’ filtering option, which opens up a list of the materials that can be chosen from. Simply tick the desired option and click ‘go’; the list will now only display underwear made from that material. Further options exist, such as the ‘auction’ option, which displays only items that can be bid on, or the ‘buy it now’ option, which shows only items that can be bought for fixed rates.
Clicking on an item takes the user to that item’s individual page. This page consists of detailed information and specifications about the product, coupled with information about the seller themselves (for instance user ratings and feedback). The seller can be contacted directly with queries and questions, in case it is necessary.
Using eBay provides the benefits of both a huge range of items from which to choose and a simple, intuitive user interface. These features make for an unrivalled user experience when buying men’s underwear online.
Underwear is an aspect of life that no one can do without. Underwear can be made from many different materials, though; knowing which material to choose when selecting underwear can be difficult. This guide set out with the intention of providing information about the many materials from which men’s underwear can be made, including their benefits, and drawbacks.
This guide concludes by stating that thanks to its user interface and the many vendors who use it to sell their wares, the renowned bidding website eBay is an excellent means of shopping for men’s underwear online.