Buying a saltwater fishing reel can seem difficult, particularly for beginners who do not have any experience with fishing. There are many factors to consider when choosing the right reel for offshore fishing. This guide will outline the different types of reel and their advantages and disadvantages to help give an understanding of which reel will be the best fit for the job
No matter what type of reel has been decided upon, eBay sellers offer a wide range of all types that can be found with a quick and easy search.
Types of Fishing Reel
There are many types and brands of fishing reel to consider for off shore saltwater fishing. These types of reel can be broken down in to three main groups. Each of these groupings of reel has certain aspects they perform well in and each have certain limitations. These three types of reel are;
· Baitcasting reel – Baitcasting reels are good for casting heavy lures and lines. They are arguably the best for catching large fish and therefore are preferred by many experienced anglers. Baitcasting reels are also particularly good for offshore fishing.
· Spinning reel – Spinning reels are also good for off shore fishing. They are designed to work well with long casts and can be cast in to heavy winds. This kind of reel, however, is good with small to medium sized fish, but is not as well equipped to handle large fish.
· Spincasting reel - The spincasting reel is also not as equipped as a baitcasting reel for handling large game, however, it is generally considered to be the easiest to use, particularly for beginners. Although it is easy to use, this style of reel is designed more for use on the shore as opposed to off shore fishing.
When it comes down to it, the two best equipped types of reel for off shore fishing are the spinning reel and baitcasting reel. To decide upon which of these is the right fit, there are a few things that need to be thought through first.
Consider what the aim is as to the type and size of fish, as this makes the biggest difference to the selection of a reel. When looking to catch larger fish then the baitcasting reel might be the best option.
In order to make an appropriate decision as to the best type of reel for the job, there are a few specifics to take in to account. These things are:
· Bearing count – All the bearing count means is the number of bearing balls on the inside of the reel. The general rule is that the higher the number of balls, the better the reel. This is because there will be less friction in the line which can make a huge difference when you are reeling in a fish.
· Line capacity – The line capacity is simply how much line the reel can hold. When looking to go deep water fishing, which in off shore will often be the case, the length of the line is important. The reel will show how much line and of what weight of line it can hold.
· Body materials – The material the reel is made from is very important particularly in offshore saltwater fishing. The reason for this being that a reel is needed which is both strong and resistant to corrosion from saltwater. There are a lot of reels available today made from materials such as magnesium, due to its low weight. This would be fine for fresh water fishing, although in saltwater, the reel would corrode and become non-functional in a short period of time. The best materials to look for in a saltwater fishing reel are graphite or cast aluminium, due to their strength. They will also not be corroded by the spray of salt water for a much longer period of time if they are looked after properly.
Tip – Remember to properly maintain the fishing reel. Particularly with off shore saltwater fishing, the reel will be in danger from the strength of the tide, wind and the spray of the saltwater.
Sometimes the description of an item lacks vital information when trying to choose a specific item. If unsure about certain aspects of an item, do not be shy to contact the seller. Ask a question such as; what material is the reel made from or what its bearing count or line capacity is. Rated sellers in particular may be happy to answer any questions you have for them regarding the item they are trying to sell.
How to Buy a Saltwater Fishing Reel for Off Shore Fishing on eBay
Now that you know what you want out of an off shore saltwater fishing reel, you can find it quickly and easily on eBay. While you shop, give thought to rods and clothes.
To start shopping, go to the sporting goods category, followed by fishing, then reels.
The categories list on the left side of each page will help you narrow down your listings by item type.
Use the saltwater fishing reel Finder to quickly narrow down item listings by brand and condition (new or used).
Search eBay listing titles for specific words. For example, if you want to find new off shore saltwater dishing reels, type the keywords “off shore saltwater fishing reel new” (without quotation marks) into the search box. Click, “Search title and description” to expand your results. Visit eBay’s Search Tips for more tips on searching with keywords.
If you can’t find exactly what you want, try browsing eBay Stores or tell the eBay Community what you’re looking for by creating a post on Want It Now. Alternatively, use the save a search option on My eBay and eBay will email you when a matching item becomes available.
Remember also to check the Deals page when hunting for bargains.
Buy Offshore Saltwater Fishing Reels with Confidence
Make sure that you know exactly what you’re buying and understand how eBay and PayPal protect you.
Know Your Item
- Read the details in the item listing carefully.
- Remember to add delivery costs to your final price. If you’re buying a high value item, check that the seller will insure it until it is delivered to you.
- If you want more information, click the “Ask seller a question” button on the seller’s profile or the “Ask a question” link at the bottom of the item listing page.
Know Your Seller
Research your seller so that you feel safe and positive about every transaction.
· What is the seller’s feedback rating?
· How many transactions have they completed?
· How many positive responses do they have?
· What do buyers say in their feedback?
· Do they offer a money-back guarantee?
· What are the terms and conditions?
· Are buyers positive about the seller?
· Most top eBay sellers operate like retail shops and have a returns policy.
No matter what the choice of fishing reel, it can be found quickly and easily on eBay. Remember to match the type of reel to the quarry.