When thinking about buying a saltwater fishing reel there are a few aspects to consider to be sure of acquiring the right sort of reel. This could depend on
· the type of fishing you want to do
· the location you would like to fish in
· the type of fish you want to catch
This guide explains the differences between the different types of saltwater reel to help you understand which reel would be the best fitting for the type of fishing you are interested in. No matter what kind of reel you choose you should be able to find it quickly and easily on eBay.
Types of Reel
There are many different styles and brands of reels out there, all at different prices. Each type of reel has its strong points and its weaknesses. All of these reels can be placed in to three fundamental groupings. These groupings are;
· Baitcasting reel – The baitcasting reel is one of the oldest kinds of reel. It is used for casting heavy lures and lines. This type of reel is often used by more experienced fishermen/women because of its ability to last a long time in reeling in much larger game.
· Spinning reel – The spinning reel is good for catching small to medium sized game. It has the ability to cast long and into the wind making it useful for off shore fishing.
· Spincasting reel – The spincasting reel, similarly to the spinning reel is good for catching small to medium sized fish. It is arguably the easiest reel to use and often a favourite among beginners.
Whichever type of reel is best for you will depend on whether you want to cast on shore or off shore, and what size of game you are hoping to reel in. Once you have figured out which type of reel is best for you, you can take a closer look at the specific details of each reel.
As well as choosing the type of reel you are looking for, you should look for the following things as well in order to get the most efficient reel.
· Bearing count – The bearing count is the amount of ball bearings that are included inside the reel. The number can be from two to ten and the efficiency increases the higher the count of the bearing. However, although it is believed by most that having a higher ball bearing count increases efficiency through reducing fraction in the line, some people believe that it is more to do with the engineering of the reel.
· Line capacity – The line capacity is the amount of line that can be held on the inside of the reel. The more line the reel can hold the better, not only because you have more line to work with, but also because it suggests that the reel itself is stronger.
· Body material –Body material refers to the material that the reel is made out of. Reels can be made from many different things although some are much more efficient than others when it comes to saltwater fishing. An example of this is magnesium. Magnesium is light and not too expensive. As a result, a lot of fishing reels are made from magnesium. Magnesium is an example of a material which will be corroded over time by the saltwater. It is for this reason that when you are fishing in saltwater it is worth spending a little extra money on a reel made from a material that is not as vulnerable to saltwater corrosion. Two of the best materials for this are cast aluminium and graphite. These materials are lightweight, strong, and durable and will not suffer too much from saltwater corrosion.
How to Buy Saltwater Reels on eBay
To start shopping, go to the sporting goods category, followed by fishing, then reels.
The categories list on the left side of each page will help you narrow down your listings by item type.
Use the saltwater reel Finder to quickly narrow down item listings by brand and condition (new or used).
Search eBay listing titles for specific words. For example, if you want to find new saltwater reels, type the keywords “saltwater reel new” (without quotation marks) into the search box. Click, “Search title and description” to expand your results. Visit eBay’s Search Tips for more tips on searching with keywords.
If you can’t find exactly what you want, try browsing eBay Stores or tell the eBay Community what you’re looking for by creating a post on Want It Now. Alternatively, use the save a search option on My eBay and eBay will email you when a matching item becomes available.
Remember also to look at eBay’s Deals page for bargains.
Buy Saltwater Reels with Confidence
Make sure that you know exactly what you’re buying and understand how eBay and PayPal protect you.
Know Your Item
- Read the details in the item listing carefully.
- Remember to add delivery costs to your final price. If you’re buying a high value item, check that the seller will insure it until it is delivered to you.
- If you want more information, click the “Ask seller a question” button on the seller’s profile or the “Ask a question” link at the bottom of the item listing page.
Know Your Seller
Research your seller so that you feel safe and positive about every transaction.
- What is the seller’s Feedback rating?
- How many transactions have they completed?
- How many positive responses do they have?
- What do buyers say in their Feedback?
- Are they positive about the seller?
Most top eBay sellers operate like retail shops and have a returns policy.
- Do they offer a money-back guarantee?
- What are their terms and conditions?
Conclusion - Things to Remember
It is important to relate the type of fishing you want to practise to each of the things mentioned above. If you do this you should now have a better idea as to which type of saltwater fishing reel you should be looking for.
When looking on eBay for reels, if you are not entirely sure about an aspect of a product, do not be shy; contact the seller for any information that may not be available on the item listing.
If the specific reel that you are looking for is slightly out of your price range, keep in mind that eBay also has a variety of used products, usually at a much lower price than new. This may be the best way to start off if you are buying your first saltwater fishing reel. Remember that it is easy to find the going rate for any used reel by looking at ended items in an advanced search on eBay.
Whichever type of saltwater fishing reel you decide is the best fit, it can be found quickly and easily on eBay.