Hi-Fi systems are home entertainment systems designed for playing music on a variety of formats. Hi-Fi systems can play CDs and MP3s, as well as the ability to play to AM/FM and often DAB radio stations.
Hi-Fi systems come in two forms: a set of stacking units (often called ‘separates’) and a mini-system (or ‘shelf stereo’). Hi-Fi mini-systems are compact and host all the music playing devices integrated into one tower, whereas separates feature individual hi-fi components that are stacked on top of each other.
The purpose of this guide is to inform the reader all about hi-fi radios and to explain how to purchase them efficiently and safely from eBay.
The term hi-fi is short for ‘high fidelity’ reproduction, which is the term that is used to describe high quality sound reproduction, so to distinguish it from poor quality sound produced by cheap and low quality audio equipment.
Regardless of the type of hi-fi system, whether it’s a mini-system or separates, they both often contain the same features. These include:
· CD player (with CD-R or CD-RW disc compatibility)
· MP3 CD player
· AM/FM radio
· A remote
Some hi-fi systems also include a DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) radio and many versions will feature a CD changer that often can hold up to 10 CDs - this allows the owner to store and play multiple CDs at the same time without having to change the disc.
Hi-Fi radios generally come in the form of a mini-system where there are typically three components: the micro hi-fi system itself, and two accompanying speakers situated either side of it.
There is an extensive range of hi-fi radios for sale on the current market in a range of styles, shapes, and sizes, which cater for the individual differences in tastes, preferences, and requirements.
Hi-Fi radios contain the same features as most hi-fi systems, although many new models may include additional features, such as an iPod dock or auxiliary port, which allows the owner to play music using their iPod, iPhone or other music playing devices like a MP3 player.
Some hi-fi radios will also include a CD changer that is capable of storing multiple discs at once. Most CD players in these hi-fi radios are typically front-loading (the disc tray comes out in a forward motion), although some top loading systems are also available (where the disc is simply popped onto the top of the hi-fi). Slot loading CD players (the disc is fed into the tray just by pushing it in) are also featured in some hi-fi radios.
Some top of the range hi-fi radios will also include a DVD player, Bluetooth capability, and even an Internet radio, which allows the owner to choose from a wealth of radio stations from around the world.
Clock radios are another popular form of hi-fi radios. Also known as ‘table radios’ or ‘docking stations’, these music-playing devices feature an iPod dock as its centrepiece, which allows the owner to plug in their iPod or iPhone, and play music from it.
These hi-fi examples typically feature:
· An LCD display
· A clock
· An alarm clock with sleep function (some have several)
· Radio (AM and FM)
· iPod dock (with charging capability)
· CD player (CD-R and CD-RW compatibility)
· Wireless remote
Some high-tech clock radios also feature a DAB radio, as well as the traditional AM and FM radio stations.
Although these hi-fi radios are compatible with iPods and iPhones, it’s strongly recommended to check which iPod/iPhone generations are compatible with the manufacturer before purchasing, so to ensure the most successful purchase.
New and Used Hi-Fi Radios
Brand new hi-fi radios are available from less than $50 to as much as $400 for top of the range models. Used (second-hand) hi-fi radios, however, can often be purchased at substantially lower prices than their brand new equivalents, making them a much more affordable option to purchase.
Buying a used hi-fi radio has other advantages besides its affordable price:
· The buyer knows they are getting a great product because the previous owner has used it, and it is still in good enough condition to be sold on for someone else to enjoy.
· The buyer is being environmentally conscious, as buying second-hand a product is a form of recycling.
How to Buy a Hi-Fi Radio on eBay
The choice of hi-fi radios online greatly outnumbers those that can be found on the high street, with numerous amounts, which can be reviewed and analysed alongside each other, aligned with the buyer’s individual tastes, requirements, and preferences. In this case, eBay is perfect for offering a quick, easy and effortless route into searching for a hi-fi radio on the Internet.
For the most successful purchase, use the following advice for efficient and safe shopping on eBay:
- Search: In order to start a search on the website, enter ‘hi-fi radio’ into the search toolbar. Then, using the menu on the left-hand side of the screen, select ‘Electronics’ followed by ‘Audio’. Then finally, tick the box labelled ‘hi-fi systems’ on the left-hand side menu.
- Brand: Many people have favourites when it comes to electronics brands and manufacturers, as they have already purchased products from the company, and were of a high quality. In this case, eBay has an extensive range of used hi-fi systems from top branded electronics manufacturers, such as Philips, Sony, Sanyo, Thomson, and TDK to name only a few.
- Shop Safely: In order to have the most successful purchase shopping on eBay, always read the product description thoroughly (in order to know exactly what is being purchased), review the postage and payment options prior to purchase. Remember that it’s always possible to contact the seller if unsure about any part of the transaction. This function can also be used to ask the seller a question about the item or if more information about the product.
- New or Used: eBay stocks both new and used hi-fi radios available to purchase. When searching, use the menu on the left-hand side of the screen to tick either box labelled ‘new’ or ‘used’, which is under the category ‘condition’.
- Use PayPal: Although eBay accepts a range of payment methods,PayPal is the safest way to make online payments. PayPal permits shoppers to send payments securely and quickly online, using a credit card, bank account or PayPal balance. To find out more information about how PayPal and eBay work together to provide customers safe shopping online, please visit the ‘About PayPal’ page on the website.
- eBay Deals – Don’t forget to check out the latest deals on hi-fi radios by looking in ‘Audio’ section of the ‘Electronics’ department. Many fantastic discounts can be found here, along with free postage costs.
There are many factors to consider and issues to take into account when purchasing a hi-fi radio. However, with the important information and crucial considerations outlined throughout this guide, coupled with eBay’s highly detailed and easy to use website, buying a hi-fi radio is quick and simple.
Buying on eBay should be considered not only due to the potential of finding a good deal, but because of the extensive choice of hi-fi radios that the website offers.