The Ultimate Collection of classic Books on
Blacksmithing, Forging and Welding
This is a collection of 27 classic books (in PDF format) on Blacksmithing, Forging and Welding. It truly is the most comprehensive collection of classic works ever written on blacksmithing and is a perfect study resource for all metalwork enthusiasts!
Please note: Each of these 27 PDF Reprints is an electronic facsimile version of the actual book published in around 1900s.
PDF Reprint #1
A Textbook of
Elementary Forging Practice
Originally published in 1920s, this is an elementary forging textbook suitable for blacksmithing students in technical schools.
While a comprehensive knowledge of forging practice can be gained only through contact with a commercial shop doing a wide variety of work, an understanding of fundamental principles can be secured through a carefully planned and conducted course of instruction in a technical school. This book is designed to assist the students in grasping fundamental principles. To this end, a series of 44 projects/plans involving fundamental operations has been devised.
- Materials and Equipment
- Wrought Iron, Norway or Swedish Iron, Machinery Steel, High-Carbon Steel, High-Speed Steel
- Emery-Wheel Test
- Weight of Iron
- Forge, Fire Tools, Coal, Building Fire, Coke, Making Coke, Clinker, Banking Fire, Cleaning Fire at End of Period
- Anvil, Tool Rack
- Hammer, Backing Hammer, Cross Peen Hammer, Sledges
- Tongs, Fitting Tongs to the Work
- Measuring and Marking Tools
- Flatter, Set-Hammer, Chisels, Grinding Chisels, Bob-Punch, Necking Tool, Fullers, Swages, Swage Block
- Vise, Cone, Surface Plate, Shears
- Drawing-Out, Bending and Twisting
- Oxidizing Fire
- To Prevent the Formation of Scale
- Welding Heat, Indications of a Welding Heat
- Burned Iron
- Drawing-out, Squaring, or Truing-up, Work
- Cutting Cold Stock, Cutting Hot Stock
- Twisting, Punching
- Common Welds
- Lap Weld, Upsetting, Scarfing
- Use of Fluxes in Welding, Method of Using Flux
- Welded Rings
- Forge Hook, Common Eye-Bolt, Common Hinge, Flat Ring, Band Ring, Heading Tool, Cupping Tool, Bolts
- Special Welds
- Butt Weld, V-Weld, Jump Weld, Split Weld, Split Weld for Heavy Stock, T-Weld, Angle Weld
- Hammer Work
- Trip-Hammer or Belt-Hammer, Steam-Hammer
- Finishing Allowance
- Forged Wrench, Flat-Jawed Tongs, Link Tongs, Hollow-Bit Tongs
- Annealing, Hardening and Tempering Steel
- Annealing, Box Annealing, Water Annealing
- Hardening, Refining Heat, Recalescence, Tempering, Guide for Hardening, Tempering only the Cutting Edges of Tools, Hardening and Tempering Tools Throughout, Methods of Cooling, Forging Heat of Tool Steel, Heating Steel for Hardening, Importance of Uniform Heating, Hardening at a Rising Heat, Restoring the Grain, Warping in Cooling, Hardening Thin Flat Articles, Tempering Taps, Tempering Carving Knives, Tempering Shear Blades, Tempering Springs, Case-Hardening, Pack-Hardening
- Treatment of High-Speed Steel
- Cutting Stock, Forging Heat, The Fire, Heating for Hardening, Cooling, Annealing
- Tool Forging
- Selection of Steel for Tools, Lathe Tools, Cold Chisel, Cape Chisel, Round-Nose Cape Chisel, Center-Punch, Round-Nose Tool, Cutting-off Tool, Threading Tool, side Tool, Boring Tool, Cross-Peen Hammer, Eye-Punch, Drift-pin, Small Cross-Peen Hammer Ball-Peen Hammer, Hot Eye-Chisel, Cold Eye-Chisel, Geologist’s Pick, Hand Rock-Drill, Machine Rock-Drill, V-Fullers, Wing Swage, Dolly, Hunting Axe, Hunting Knife
44 Forging Projects/Plans
- Drawing-out and Bending Ring
- Beam Strap
- Twisted Gate-Hook
- Practice Welds -- Fagot
- Round Lap-Weld
- Flat Lap-Weld
- Links of Chain
- Ring -- Round Lap-Weld
- Ring -- Link Scarf
- Forged Hook
- Common Eye-Bolt
- Common Hinge
- Flat Ring
- Band Ring
- Upset-Head Bolt
- Welded-Head Bolt
- Forged Bolt
- Angle Weld
- Forged Open-End Wrench
- Flat-Jawed Tongs
- Link Tongs
- Hollow-Bit Tongs
- Cold Chisel
- Cape Chisel
- Round-Nose Cape Chisel
- Round-Nose Tool
- Cutting-Off Tool
- Threading Tool
- Side Tool
- Boring Tool
- Cross-Peen Hammer
- Small Cross-Peen Hammer
- Ball-Peen Hammer
- Hot Eye Chisel
- Cold Eye-Chisel
- Geologist’s Pick
- Hand Rock-Drill
- Machine Rock-Drill
- Hunting Axe
- Hunting Knife
PDF Reprint #2
Blacksmith Shop Practice Manual
This rare 1910s practice manual introduces a practical plan, essential tools and useful skills for operating a blacksmith shop.
- Arrangement and Equipment of a Model Blacksmith Shop
- Foundations and Walls
- Forge Space and Arrangement
- Arrangement of Steam- and Belt-driven Hammers
- Location of Blowers, Conduits and Piping
- Furnaces, Tool Racks, Hammer Foundations and Piping
- Foreman’s Office, Wash Room, Lockers, etc.
- Bar Stock Racks and Storage
- Fuel Storage and Roof Construction
- Plain Lap Weld
- Jump Weld
- Butt Weld
- Welding Steel
- Making Long Lead-screws
- Portable Forge for Welding
- Fluxes for Welding
- The Forging of Hooks and Chains
- The Forging of Hooks
- The Forging of Chains
- Miscellaneous Blacksmith Shop Appliances and Methods
- A Cheap Home-made Forge
- Reducing the Diameter of Tool Steel under the Steam Hammer
- Making Collars under the Steam Hammer
- Forging an Eyebolt
- Welding a High-speed Steel Cutter to a Machine Steel Body
- Pneumatic Flue Welder
PDF Reprint #3
A Course in Agricultural Engineering
Originally published in 1920s, this classic textbook is designed to teach blacksmithing to agricultural college students and to farmers, featuring 37 practical farm blacksmithing projects all with working instructions, drawings and photographs. As the book is intended to be used as a self-instruction manual, little is left for granted.
Farm blacksmithing is a rougher type of work. The important question is: "Does it fit and is it strong enough?" In welding the question is not "How does it look?" but "will it hold?"
The dimensions given on the drawings in this book are such that the work will be strong enough and of a size in general use. The sizes should, however, be modified when individual needs require.
- Tools for the Farm Blacksmith Shop
- Additional Tools Used in Schools
- Building a Fire
- Reading Drawings
- Blacksmith Operations
- Flat Point Staple
- Square Point Staple
- Gate Hook
- Door Pull
- Rope Cleat
- Meat Hook
- Gate Hinge
- Square Crab Hook
- Slip Hook
- Small Clevis
- Clevis with Threaded Pin
- Spring Seat Hook
- Foot Rest Brace
- Strap Bolt
- Strap Bolt and Side Brace
- Joist Stirrup
- Lap Weld
- Welded Ring
- Pile Band
- Chain Links
- Baled Hay Hook
- Large Welded Clevis
- Ring Bolt
- Double Eye Bolt
- Scalding Hook
- Single Tree Hook
- Wagon Wrench
- Bolt Head
- Center Punch
- Cold Chisel
- Compound Lever Bar
- Hand Punch
- Ice Tongs
- Straight Lip Tongs
- Hoof Parers
- Iron and Steel
- Mild Steel -- Wrought Iron
- Tool Steel -- Cast Iron
- Hardening and Tempering
- Hardening and Tempering the Cold Chisel
- Tools and Their Tempering Colors
- Case Hardening
PDF Reprint #4
System in the Blacksmith Shop
Tools for the Blacksmith Shop
Anvils and Forges
Power Hammers and Forging Appliances
The Steam Hammer and Its Use
PDF Reprint #5
This book includes rules, tables, recipes, etc., useful to manufacturers, blacksmiths, machinists, well-drillers, engineers, liverymen, horse-shoers, farmers, wagon-makers, and mechanics.
PDF Reprint #6 ~ #9
1114 Pages in total
Volume 1 ~ Volume 4
This is a collection of articles contributed at different times by skilled workmen to the columns of "The Blacksmith and wheelwright" and covering nearly the whole range of blacksmithing from the simplest job of work to some of the most complex forgings.
PDF Reprint #10
This is a treatise on the construction and manipulation of tools, for the use and instruction of young engineers and scientific amateurs; comprising the arts of blacksmithing and forging; the construction and manufacture of hand tools, and the various methods of using and grinding them; description of hand and machine processes; turning and screw cutting; and the various details of setting out work incidental to the mechanical engineer's and machinist's art.
PDF Reprint #11
Net Price List of Iron and Steel
This book contains illustrations of just about everything made by blacksmiths in the early 20th Century, such as wagon and carriage hardware, woodstock and carriage trimmings, blacksmith's tools, mill and lumbermen's supplies.
PDF Reprint #12
A Practical Guide to Iron and Steel Works Analyses
This Guide has been compiled from the successful volume, Laboratory Notes on Iron and Steel Analyses, to meet the requirements of those who do not wish to enter for the complete analytical course. Notes on Fuel Analyses have been added.
PDF Reprint #13
Forge-Practice and Heat Treatment of Steel
Modern demands on the finished products of steel have necessitated rapid strides in the art of heat treatment of the metal. As the subjects of forging, hardening, tempering and annealing are so closely correlated it has seemed wise to add to "Forge Practice" a certain amount of material devoted to the other branches of the art. It is the earnest wish of the writers of this volume that it may be instrumental in helping men engaged in heat treating steel to be of greater value to themselves and others.
PDF Reprint #14
Machine Molding, Foundry Appliances, Malleable Casting,
Brass Founding, Blacksmith-Shop Equipment, Iron Forging,
Tool Dressing, Hardening & Tempering,
Treatment of Low-Carbon Steel, Hammer Work,
Machine Forging, Special Forging Operations
This is a series of textbooks prepared for the students of the international correspondence schools and containing in permanent form the instruction papers, examination questions, and keys used in their various courses.
PDF Reprint #15
Architectural Wrought-Iron: Ancient & Modern
This book is a compilation of examples from various sources of German, Swiss, Italian, French, English and American iron-work from mediaeval times down to the present day (1888).
PDF Reprint #16
This is a comprehensive treatise on the practice of the various resistance and arc welding processes, covering descriptions of the machines and apparatus used and the applications both in manufacturing and repair work.
PDF Reprint #17
Elementary Wrought Iron
This book is written to point out to industrial-arts men the possibilities of metal work as an industrial-arts subject.
It is true that courses have been offered before and that texts have been written before, but these courses and texts were either all forge work, all sheet-metal work, or all machine work. The present book calls for a shop layout which may be termed a general metal shop; one in which a number of metal-working activities are represented. Thus, while most of the projects in this book are forge work, many of them involve some bench-metal work, sheet-metal work, lathe work, or pipe fitting. Some problems involve only one of these activities, some several, and a few all of them. Here, indeed, is an opportunity to present to the students a broad and comprehensive insight into the metal-working industry.
The projects selected are not the chains, clevises, and gate hooks so common in forge work, nor the abstract tool operations built into the strictly machine-shop courses. Here are live projects like hammer heads and hack-saw frames; magazine baskets and end tables; fern stands, andirons, and candlesticks; desk lamps, table lamps, and bridge lamps; and a goodly number of others. The writer believes that these projects will prove every bit as universally popular as are the present-day woodworking projects.
PDF Reprint #18
A Manual of Useful Information and Tables
Appertaining to the Use of
PDF Reprint #19
Pocket Companion of Useful Information and Tables
Appertaining to the Use of
PDF Reprint #20
The Construction of Wrought Iron Bridges
This book embraces the practical application of the principles of mechanics to wrought iron girder work.
PDF Reprint #21
Teachers of forge work generally supply their own course of instruction and arrange the exercises for practice. The necessary explanations and information are given orally, and hence often with very unsatisfactory results, as the average student is not able to retain all the essential points of the course. It was the desire to put this instruction in some permanent form for the use of forge students that led the author to undertake this work.
PDF Reprint #22
The Value of Science in the Smithy and Forge
PDF Reprint #23
Bolt, Nut and Rivet Forging
PDF Reprint #24
A History and Description of
Mediaeval Art Work in Copper, Brass and Bronze
with 120 Illustrations
PDF Reprint #25
The Metallurgy of Iron and Steel
PDF Reprint #26
Oxy-Acetylene Welding and Cutting
This book covers electric, forge and thermit welding, together with related methods and materials used in metal working and the oxygen process for removal of carbon.
PDF Reprint #27
Hardening, Tempering, Annealing & Forging of Steel
This is a treatise on the practical treatment and working of high and low grade steel, comprising the selection and identification of steel, the most modern and approved heating, hardening, tempering, annealing and forging processes, the use of gas blast forges, heating machines and furnaces, the annealing and manufacturing of malleable iron, the treatment and use of self-hardening steel, with special reference to casehardening processes, the hardening and tempering of milling cutters and press tools, the use of machinery steel for cutting tools, forging and welding, high grade steel forgings in America, forging of hollow shafts, drop-forging, and grinding processes for tools and machine parts.
Notes for buyers
- This item is for 1 DVD containing the PDF reprints described as above.
- The DVD is to be used on a computer DVD drive. It cannot be used on any standalone DVD player.
- The PDF files are to be opened by Adobe Reader v5.0 or above.
- Australian customers: PayPal, Direct Deposit
- International customers: PayPal only
- If you buy multiple items and can take all the files on a single CD/DVD, then there is no additional postage & handling charges.
- Otherwise, postage cannot be combined as each CD/DVD is posted in a separate CD-mailer via Australia Post.
Notice to eBay staff
This auction abides by eBay’s listing rules and polices.
No trademarks and/or copyrights have been violated.
We are either the publisher or an authorized distributor of these PDF reprints.