Hydrolised Whey Protein Isolate (Strawberry, 1kg)
Hydrolised Whey Protein Isolate
No Bull Supplements’ Hydrolised Whey Protein Isolate is possibly the purest form of hydrolysed whey protein available in Australia, with no other ingredients added except flavouring. In a nutshell, HWPI is processed in a manner which allows for easier digestion, faster absorption and less potential for allergic reactions.
What is hydrolysed whey protein?
To put simply, hydrolysed whey protein is protein that has been hydrolysed. Normally, whole proteins are processed to contain large molecules which the body takes longer to digest. In order to be utilised, these molecules must be chopped up into smaller molecules through a process called hydrolysis. To be able to be absorbed by the body, protein must be either in the form of di- or tri- peptides or free amino acids. Hydrolysation does the body’s work for you and breaks whole proteins into smaller peptides including di- and tri- peptides. Theoretically this should mean hydrolysed whey protein is absorbed faster by the body than whole intact proteins and give you faster access to the protein you need to build up that muscle.
Why take hydrolysed whey protein?
A hydrolysate is a protein that has been broken down into its constituent amino acids. This type of protein can be more expensive, and some may have a bitter taste. As a result, a hydrolysed whey protein is more easily digested and presents less potential for allergic reactions than non-hydrolysed whey protein, because hydrolysis breaks down the protein chains down into smaller segments called peptides. The quality of protein, however, remains very high. Hydrolysed WPI is produced by treating purified whey protein with enzymes that split peptide bonds off the whey protein structure. The process is carried out in a non-acidic environment, giving an extremely high quality hydrolysed protein, with a cleaner taste and optimum absorption. The resulting WPI contains highly bioactive peptide fractions that help stimulate anabolic activity and muscle recovery. The peptide fractions are absorbed faster and reach muscle cell sites quicker than free-form amino acids and all other protein sources including standard whey protein isolate. This is good news for trainers who want a fast acting protein for maximum muscle recovery and growth.
Mix 40g in 200mL of water or skim milk.
Hydrolised Whey Protein, Flavour, E955.
Compare the nutritional content of No Bull Supplements Hydrolised Whey Protein with that of other labels (per 100g)
Studies backing HWPI
1. Studies by Koopman et al (2009) showed that muscle protein synthesis rates were increased with use of hydrolysates over whole proteins. By being faster absorbed than whole intact proteins, use of hydrolysed whey protein makes the most of the window of opportunity pre and post workout in supplying the muscles with the amino acids it needs to muscle adaptations: Koopman R, Crombach N, Gijsen AP, Walrand S, Fauquant J, Kies AK, Lemosquet S, Saris WH, Boirie Y, van Loon LJ. ‘Ingestion of a protein hydrolysate is accompanied by an accelerated in vivo digestion and absorption rate when compared with its intact protein.’ Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jul;90(1):106-15. Epub 2009 May 2
2. Since the body can absorb protein as di- and tri- peptides as well as free amino acids, would it be fine to just use free amino acids? On a physiological basis, studies have shown that in fact di- and tri- peptides are absorbed more easily and at a higher rate than free amino acids. This is because di- and tri- peptide hydrolysates go through a different carrier system to enter the bloodstream. The presence of large volumes of free amino acids causes competition between the free amino acid carriers to bring them across the gut into the bloodstream, causing a delay in the delivery of amino acids to structures of the body including muscles. The absorption of free amino acids is also controlled by the level of sodium in the body as well as the acidity of the intestinal environment. These issues do not apply for the absorption of di- and tri- peptides. Other studies have shown greater retention of protein in the body with use of peptides rather than free amino acids: Di Pasquale, M.G. ‘Amino acids and proteins for the athlete: The anabolic edge.’ (1997) Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
3. Buckley et al (2010) showed that consuming hydrolysed whey protein led to improved recovery from fatiguing eccentric exercise than non-hydrolysed whey protein isolate: Buckley JD, Thomson RL, Coates AM, Howe PR, DeNichilo MO, Rowney MK. ‘Supplementation with a whey protein hydrolysate enhances recovery of muscle force-generating capacity following eccentric exercise.’ J Sci Med Sport. 2010 Jan;13(1):178-81. Epub 2008 Sep 2
4. Two other studies performed by van Loon et al (2000)10,11 were able to show that hydrolysed protein with carbohydrates were able to raise the level of insulin in an individual almost 100% more than with carbohydrates alone: Manninen, AH. ‘Protein hydrolysates in sports and exercise: A brief review.’ Journ. Of Sports Sci. And Med. (2004) 3, 60-63
Terms and conditions
This page outlines the Terms and Conditions of No Bull Supplements Australia. By accessing this website, you agree to be bound by them.
1. When you have made your purchase, you will receive a confirmation email that your payment has been accepted.
2. When your items are shipped, you will receive another email to notify you of this.
3. All deliveries are packaged securely and placed in either a tough bag or a cardboard box, depending on the physical size of your purchase.
4. All orders are dispatched within 48 hours of the sale.
5. Our couriers are advised to leave all packages in a safe place if no one is at home. If this is not practical, it is your responsibility to advise us if you would like alternative arrangements. Our courier service does charge a redelivery fee payable by the customer if they need to do a re-delivery. Pickups are possible from their depot at no charge.
6. Deliveries within Sydney and most other major cities are normally an overnight service. Other areas could take up to 3-4 business days. Some areas of WA and rural areas can take up to 9 days. If you have not received your order within the time specified, please advise us and we will contact the courier.
7. A surcharge may apply to deliveries in regional areas. In such cases, the buyer will be notified of the surcharge within 24 hours. The buyer has the option to withdraw their purchase if unsatisfied with the surcharge.
In regards to refunds, in the unlikely event that you wish to make a claim relating to your product such as damage in transport or incorrect goods, you must notify us by email within 24 hours of receiving the goods. All returned goods must be unopened and in original condition. Our email is email@example.com