All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe rules of architecture have been discussed since the Roman architect and engineer Vitruvius coined the trilogy 'firmitas, utilitas and venustas', most commonly translated as firmness, commodity and delight. Put simply, this means that a building should stand up and endure, that it should serve its function, and that it should give pleasure to its users and the wider community. Great buildings, like great art, contain something that is impossible to define or pin down. But that greatness, in almost all cases, overlays the principles set out in this book. While one cant guarantee that a building will be great, if all the principles are followed, you will avoid the pitfalls to which too many are subject. This new title in Vivays Publishing's '10 Principles' series provides clear explanations of each tenet along with useful illustrations to help the reader visualise what is being discussed. The author assumes background on the subject, but an interest in learning more about what goes into making a building work. An experienced writer on this subject, Ruth Slavid provides a useful and illuminating primer to the field that is accessible to students of architecture, architects or architectural historians or anyone interested in the principles behind the buildings that surround them.
- Author BiographyRuth Slavid is an author and freelance journalist specialising in architecture and construction. For many years, she worked at The Architect's Journal. She is the author of 'Wood Architecture', 'Extreme Architecture' and 'Micro: Very Small Buildings'.
- Author(s)Ruth Slavid
- PublisherVivays Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication23/10/2012
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVivays Publishing Ltd
- Content Note150 Colour
- Weight703 g
- Width190 mm
- Height245 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.13Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.