All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $247.00Trending at AU $288.91
- AU $30.64Trending at AU $32.17
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $49.76
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $15.69
- AU $31.61Trending at AU $38.35
- AU $42.83Trending at AU $43.98
- AU $19.71Trending at AU $23.47
About this product
- DescriptionIn a timely, but t politically charged way, author Alan Madison looks at the way a family copes with having a parent away on a 100 day, 99 night military tour of duty through the eyes of the very loveable Esmerelda (Esme) Swishback McCarthur. Esme wants to be good while her dad is away. In fact, she feels like it's her duty to be good. But being good can be hard, especially if you have a little brother like Ike. By following Esme's story, as she awaits her father's return, readers will see how heroism can translate to every member of a family. Aside from the military families that this book serves, readers who wonder what it would be like if their mother, father, brother or sister was sent away will relate to Esme's quiet strength and candour and will understand her worry about what could happen. This story has the potential to speak to readers on a personal level and to turn a concept that seems so hard to grasp - war - into one that feels much more personal.
- Author BiographyAlan Madison is the author of two picture books for children. He was inspired to write this story after interviewing some children whose father was away on a military tour of duty.
- Author(s)Alan Madison
- PublisherLittle, Brown & Company
- Date of Publication06/05/2010
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLittle, Brown Young Readers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, frontispiece
- Weight122 g
- Width132 mm
- Height194 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Interest Agefrom 9 to 11
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.