Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is the nature of good and evil? What is the meaning of existence and who are we really? For thousands of years philosophers have struggled with questions such as these, weighing every thought against virtually every rational alternative. Here, presented for n-academic readers, is an easy-to-understand survey of ideas put forth by 100 important philosophers, from the pre-Socratics of ancient Greece to the analytic philosophers of the present day.Each thinker is summarized in a single illustrated page, or in many instances, in an illustrated two-page spread. Each entry includes the philosopher's birth and death dates, titles of major works, major influences, a capsule biographical sketch, and a brief summary of his or her most important ideas. The glossary will help readers quickly navigate and organize their learning.In addition to philosophers in our own Western tradition, readers will find Chinese sages, including Confucius and Lao-tzu, the Indian Buddhist philosopher Ngrjuna, and thinkers representing other cultures.
- Author BiographyPeter J. King (D.Phil. Oxford) was born in Boston, Lincolnshire. He currently teaches philosophy at Christ Church and Somerville Colleges, Oxford, and is Visiting Lecturer at the University of North London and the University of Reading. He has published academic papers in the philosophy ofreligion, metaphysics and philosophical logic as well as more popular articles on political philosophy and parapsychology. He's currently working on an introduction to the philosophy of religion. He is a member of the Humanist Philosophers' Group.
- Author(s)Peter J King
- PublisherChartwell Books
- Date of Publication05/04/2013
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintChartwell Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations
- Weight816 g
- Width198 mm
- Height257 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.