All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFilled to the brim with images, this scrapbook of the 1930s overflows with stalgia, for those who remember that extraordinary era. For those who do t, this wealth of imagery provides a vivid insight into a time when sliced bread had just reached the table and Butlin's holiday camps had recently opened. Life in the 1930s for many was t easy; for others, who had kwn Victorian times, the pace of change was frightening, and 'modern' life led to 'nerve tension'. Yet change brought a better standard of living and numerous new products helped the daily routine. Electrical appliances were a boon to housewives without servants, affordable motor cars made access to the countryside easier, new fun included Dinky Toys, Mopoly and a stream of delectable confectionery (Mars bars, KitKat, Black Magic, Cadbury's Roses). The aluminium milk bottle top made its appearance. Design was memorable for the red telephone kiosk, the Anglepoise lamp and the Underground map - all still in evidence today. The Royal Family went through a turbulent year following the death of George V, when Edward VIII decided he had to abdicate. The speeding motorist was hampered by 30 mph restrictions, and pedestrian crossings were guarded by Belisha beacons. By the end of the 1930s, television held exciting promise for the future, but a growing tension focused on impending war. The 1930s Scrapbook has drawn together the best from the Robert Opie Collection. The images are as bright today as when they were purchased in the shops. Coronation souvenirs, film and fashion magazines, fireworks, comics and Christmas crackers - all survived to tell a remarkable story.
- Author BiographySince the 1970s, Robert Opie has amassed an unrivalled collection of packaging.
- Author(s)Robert Opie
- PublisherThe Museum of Brands
- Date of Publication01/01/1999
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Imprintpi global publishing limited
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight1111 g
- Width267 mm
- Height379 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.46
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $76.98Trending at AU $78.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.