All listings for this product
About this product
- Description19th Century Barnsley Murders is a telling account of crimes in the Barnsley area that have remained unpublished for more than a century. The book reveals the dark heart of the town and reflects t only the poverty and squalor in which many people of the time lived, but also the deep-rooted prejudices and double standards of the period. Crimes include poaching in the local area, a serious poisoning of bread and butter pudding at an eating house and the tragic story of a man who was poisoned for a joke. More sinister happenings include a case of body snatching, which brought the whole town of Barnsley to a state of complete panic, the distressing murder of a child, and a woman who was shot down in the street by her former marine boyfriend. The book also charts cases of attempted murder, including the story of a woman who was saved from death by her stays and a brutal attack on an elderly lady, which might so easily have ended in murder. These macabre tales reveal a side of Barnsley that is t visible in the modern town of today.The intriguing narrative and in-depth coverage of Barnsley's criminal past make this essential reading for both local historians and those interested in true crime.
- Author BiographyMargaret Drinkall came late into learning, completing a Master's degree in history in 2006, aged 60. Studying for the degree gave her the confidence to write a book on local history, and soon after she began to write Rotherham Workhouse. Since then Margaret has been fortunate enough to retire to write full time. She has a keen interest in local history and true crime.
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication01/07/2015
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationBarnsley
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Content Note50 illustrations
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $190.23New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.