All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDoes 3am represent the current zeitgeist? At this dread hour, there's doubt that the day will ever come, a sense of reaching the nadir, of being in a dark place. The mind falters and slides. It's a time for nightmares, ghouls and cturnal creatures, of loneliness and death. It's the shadow side of our daylight existence, lawless and demonic. But 3am is also a time for refuge and release, for dreams and adventure, creativity and imagination. This book accompanies an exhibition of the same name, curated by Angela Kingston, and features work by over 20 contemporary artists who step into the night to create paintings, drawings, videos, photographs and other artworks that reflect this strange, numius hour, between the last traces of day and the first glimmer of morning. 3am: Wonder, paraia and the restless night '...drips with insomnia. It needs to keep different hours. It is an adolescent running free, a man alone and afraid, a woman gazing at the cosmos, an unexpected coupling, an emboldened fox'. Edited by Bryan Biggs, the book combines images with texts by writers, from Robert Louis Stevenson to Robert Macfarlane, who have conjectured the far night as something extraordinary, and includes a new short story by Ailsa Cox. Artists featured include Francis Alys, Jordan Baseman, Sandra Cinto, Dorothy Cross, Nathan Mabry, Paul Rooney, Fred Tomaselli and Tom Wood.
- Author BiographyBryan Biggs is Artistic Director of The Bluecoat. He is co-editor with John Belchem of 'Liverpool City of Radicals' (LUP, 2011); with Helen Tookey of 'Malcolm Lowry: from the Mersey to the World' (LUP, 2009), and with Julie Sheldon of 'Art in a City Revisited' (LUP, 2009).
- PublisherLiverpool University Press
- Date of Publication30/08/2013
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLiverpool
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLiverpool University Press
- Content Note40 colour illustrations
- Weight249 g
- Width147 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byBryan Biggs
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.