All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Ballymaloe's doors opened to students in 1983 there were 15 courses available. Now there are over 100, reflected in the recipes collected here, including curing meat, making gluten-free meals and sushi as well as learning forgotten skills like producing butter and cheese and beekeeping. The book chronicles how the school has been at the forefront of cooking and food trends since its inception, from Darina's championing of the Slow Food movement and her highlighting the importance of using local, seasonal and fresh produce to installing a wood-burning oven and expanding its gardens so students can learn the importance of eating less meat and more veg and preserving heirloom varieties of produce. A fascinating insight into Ballymaloe, this is also a history of food over the past thirty years, from a time when Darina couldn't get anything other than pre-packaged, grated Parmesan cheese to one where a local producer makes his own mozzarella.
- Author BiographyDarina Allen is Ireland's best-known food ambassador and the bestselling author of Irish Traditional Cooking, Ballymaloe Cookery Course and Forgotten Skills of Cooking, which won the prestigious Andre Simon award in 2009. She is a tireless campaigner for local produce, setting up Ireland's first Farmers' Market and is on the board of The Soil Association. She has won many awards including the IACP's Cookery Teacher of the Year 2005 and outstanding contribution to the Irish culinary sector by Euro-Toques in 2007.
- PrizesWinner of Irish Book Awards: Avonmore Cookbook of the Year 2013.
- Author(s)Darina Allen
- PublisherKyle Books
- Date of Publication19/09/2013
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintKyle Books
- Content Notecolour photography
- Width230 mm
- Height270 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Foreword byAlice L. Waters
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.