All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the YearIn August 1862, after suffering decades of hardship, broken treaties, and relentless encroachment on their land, the Dakota leader Little Crow reluctantly agreed that his people must go to war. After six weeks of fighting, the uprising was smashed, thousands of Indians were taken prisoner by the US army, and 303 Dakotas were sentenced to death. President Lincoln, embroiled in the most devastating period of the Civil War, personally intervened to save the lives of 265 of the condemned men, but in the end, 38 Dakota men would be hanged in the largest government-sanctioned execution in U.S. history. Writing with uncommon immediacy and insight, Scott W. Berg details these events within the larger context of the Civil War, the history of the Dakota people and the subsequent United States Indian wars, and brings to life this overlooked but seminal moment in American history.
- Author BiographyBorn and raised in the Twin Cities, Scott W. Berg holds a BA in architecture from the University of Minnesota, an MA from Miami University of Ohio, and an MFA in creative writing from George Mason University, where he now teaches writing and literature. The author of Grand Avenues: The Story of Pierre Charles L Enfant, the French Visionary Who Designed Washington, D.C., he is a regular contributor to The Washington Post.
- Author(s)Scott W Berg
- PublisherVintage Books
- Date of Publication10/09/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleVintage Civil War Library
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVintage Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight363 g
- Width134 mm
- Height202 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.94Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.