All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTrees and shrubs are a valuable asset to a garden bringing structure, shade, year-round interest and the all-important vertical dimension. But choosing the right ones for small gardens is a fine art, and it's all too easy to end up with heavyweight shrubs overtaking the border, dysfunctional climbers and trees outgrowing their designated spaces. In this practical reference, woody plant expert Diana Miller takes the anguish out of the process by recommending plants and cultivation techniques that excel in small garden spaces. Small gardens require careful planting, and the book starts by considering plants that fulfil a particular design function, such as trees that provide the right levels of shade for an underplanting of choice bulbs, columnar or weeping trees for very restricted spaces, and specimen shrubs that provide an effective foil for herbaceous perennials in a mixed border. At the heart of this book is a comprehensive plant directory that provides detailed descriptions, including full cultivation advice for over 400 top-performing trees and shrubs. Further advice on pruning, information on planting to encourage wildlife and handy lists that allow readers to search by colour, height and other characteristics are invaluable.
- Author BiographyDiana Miller has been a horticultural botanist whose work with the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) spans three decades. From 1979 she was Keeper of RHS Herbarium, where she developed and maintained the world's only herbarium dedicated to cultivated plants. She also served as Secretary for the Hardy Woody Plant Committee of the RHS and was a founding member and Secretary of the Horticultural Taxonomy Group. Over the years she has written, edited, and contributed to a range of horticultural publications, including The Garden magazine and a book on Pelargoniums (Batsford Press, 1996). Diana holds a BA in Botany from the University of Manchester and an MSc in Microbiology from Wellesley College. Recently retired from the RHS, she lives in Hampshire, England.
- Author(s)Diana M. Miller
- PublisherTimber Press
- Date of Publication15/06/2008
- Place of PublicationPortland, OR
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTimber Press
- Content Note150 colour photographs 21 black and white diagrams
- Weight812 g
- Width195 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.