All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGreater Manchester and Merseyside are built up, populous areas where the archaeology is often hidden under modern buildings and developments. Rural pockets of land and open spaces can be found where coins and objects lost in the past, brought back to the surface by the plough, are rediscovered by metal detectorists, field walkers, or simply by chance. These objects then make their way to the Portable Antiquities Scheme where they are recorded and plotted in order to help us understand more about our past. The Roman fort at Mamucium that is built between two Roman roads, the ancient trading port of Meols, cottage industry at Rainford and the more recent industrial past all play a part in our shared heritage. Objects lost by those who lived and worked in the region add to our kwledge of this rich and diverse landscape. Neolithic polished stone axes, early medieval inscribed stones and medieval quern stones reveal local how people lived and worked. Metalwork from the Bronze Age to the post-medieval period unravels secrets of the ecomy, techlogy, trade and fashion. 50 finds from Manchester and Merseyside allows us to dip into our fascinating history using the objects lost by our ancestors as our guide.
- Author BiographyVanessa Oakden has been the Portable Antiquities Scheme Finds Liaison Officer for Cheshire, Greater Manchester and Merseyside, since 2008. She studied History and Archaeology at the University of Wales Bangor before completing an M.Phil in Medieval History at Trinity College Dublin. Prior to relocating to England she worked within commercial archaeology in Ireland. As a finds specialist Vanessa works with objects from Prehistory to 1700 with a particular interest in the Early Medieval period.
- Author(s)Vanessa Oakden
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/11/2016
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series Title50 Finds
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.81Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.