All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionThe counties of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire are an area of transition between the North West and the South East, highland and lowland, pasture and arable, rural and urban. These geographical divides shaped the ancient tribal boundaries and continued to act as a border after the Roman conquest of southern Britain. The Trent and its tributaries were important trade routes linking the area with other parts of Britain and the wider world, and many settlements, including the important towns of Nottingham, Newark and Derby, sprung up on their banks during the Roman and medieval periods. Consequently, the finds from the area are diverse and reflect influences from different parts of the country. The objects in this book were found by members of the public and have been recorded by the Portable Antiquities Scheme. They provide us with an insight into the lives our ancestors, the people who lived and worked in these two counties, the people who did t make it into the history books. The objects span a period of at least 180,000 years and represent the whole spectrum of society, from the hand axe of a hunter gatherer to the gold neck torc of an Iron Age chieftain and a token halfpenny of a seventeenth century coal miner.
- Author BiographyAlastair Willis has worked for the Portable Antiquities Scheme since 2013. He became the Finds Liaison Officer for Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire in 2015. Alastair studied Archaeology and Ancient History at the University of Bristol before completing a Master's in Egyptology at the University of Liverpool. Alastair deals with objects of all periods up to 1700, and is especially interested in the Roman period.
- Author(s)Alastair Willis
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/08/2016
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series Title50 Finds
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.