All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionOperation Tonga began at 22:56 on the night of 5 June, when six Halifax heavy bombers took off from Tarrant Rushton towing six Horsas carrying a coup-de-main force consisting of D Coy, Ox and Bucks LI reinforced with two extra platoons from B Coy and a party of sappers, who were tasked with capturing the bridges over the Caen Canal and the River Orne. 6th Airborne Division-which included 1st Canadian Para Bn-had been allotted three specific tasks to achieve, apart from protecting the eastern flank of the Allied seaborne landings. First, it was to capture intact the two bridges over the Caen Canal and the Orne River at Beuville and Ranville. Second, the division was to destroy the heavily fortified Merville coastal artillery battery located at Franceville Plage, to ensure that it could t shell the British forces landing on Sword Beach. A third task was to destroy several bridges spanning the River Dives-at Varaville, Robehomme, Bures, and Troarn. The division would then hold the territory that it had seized until it could be relieved by advancing Allied ground forces.
- Author BiographyLeo Marriott is a retired Air Traffic Controller who has had more than thirty books published on his specialist subjects: naval warfare and aviation. He is an experienced pilot and accomplished aerial photographer, as his work in this book shows! Simon Forty has been working in publishing as editor and author for 35 years and edited Leo's first book, on Royal Naval Frigates in time for the Falklands War-and a subsequent sellout. He has cycled and toured the Normandy battlefields on many occasions.
- Author(s)Leo Marriott,Simon Forty
- PublisherCasemate Books
- Date of Publication27/10/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitlePast & Present
- Place of PublicationHavertown
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCasemate Books
- Content Note140 illus.
- Weight181 g
- Width184 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine3 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.