All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTaken in the streets, clubs, basements and bars of London between 1978 and 1987, this new book brings together an incredible series of images from the British photographer Derek Ridgers. People dressing up and going out have always been central to Derek's work from the first days of punk through to the fetish and fringe scenes of present day. Since first picking up a camera in 1971, Ridgers has felt compelled to record the characters that made up the social scenes around him and early on his work attracted both the attention of cultural institutions, such as London's ICA and music and style publications, such as the NME and The Face. These photographs captured across the span of ten years bridge the extremities of youth-culture; from punk through to the birth of acid house. The pictures serve t only as a fascinating document of UK style and culture but as a testament to the spirit of youth, lauding the subjects and their individuality. This book offers us the chance to see the changing faces of fashion, music and culture through individuals and influential social scenes in a time of DIY attitudes.
- Author BiographyDerek Ridgers is an English photographer with a career spanning over thirty years. He is best known for his photography of music, film and club/ street culture - photographing everyone from James Brown to The Spice Girls, from Clint Eastwood to Johnny Depp - as well as photographing politicians (Tony Blair), gangsters ('Mad' Frankie Fraser), artists (Julian Schnabel), writers (Martin Amis), fashion designers (Vivien Westwood) and sportsmen (Tiger Woods). He has also photographed famous and sometimes influential British social scenes such as skinhead, fetish, club, punk and the New Romantics. Derek Ridgers's work has been exhibited internationally since the seventies in cities as far ranging as London, Paris, Moscow, Adelaide and Los Angeles, and in venues such as the Institute of Contemporary Arts, Museum of Modern Art, National Portrait Gallery, Tate Modern, Tate Britain, Museum of London, Britart Gallery, Selfridges and the Victoria and Albert Museum.
- Author(s)Derek Ridgers,John Maybury
- Date of Publication01/01/2014
- Place of PublicationBologna
- Country of PublicationItaly
- First Published2014
- Content Note120
- Weight1240 g
- Width214 mm
- Height314 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.32Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.