All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBy the ripe old age of 9, the average girl will feel as good as she's ever going to feel about herself. After that, her self-esteem starts to take a sedive, from which she may never fully recover. Why does her self-esteem follow this disheartening trajectory? Why are so many girls and women plagued by feelings of self-doubt? Whether we're aware of it or t, we live in a culture that still values, trusts, and empowers males over females. Our traditions, politics, language, laws, media, and school curriculums are all rooted in a value system that perpetuates messages of female weakness, dependence and inferiority. We tell girls and women every day that they are less valuable than males, incapable of leadership and t worthy of being respected as equals. These messages deeply impact a girl's sense of value and her ability to thrive. By the time she enters adolescence, she becomes susceptible to poor academic performance, depression, eating disorders,bullying, risky sexual behavior, and simply feeling 't good eugh.'Though these dire consequences affect girls and women most directly, they are detrimental to us all. Like any team on which half the players are unable to perform to their fullest potential, this state of affairs leaves our whole society functioning at a deficit. The good news is that because we created this reality, we also have the ability to create it differently. 9 WAYS is a revolutionary guide forparents and anyone who cares about the well-being of girls. It is dedicatedto shedding much-needed light on the root causes of the self-esteem crisis, the waysweare unkwingly contributing to it, and what we can doto ensure that every girl (and future woman) is empowered to live up to her full potential. Drawing from more than 20 years of experience working with girls and women, Anea Bogue provides both insight and specific action steps that empower the reader to help create a world in which the female half of our 'team' is consistently capable of thriving mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Author BiographyAnea Bogue, B.Ed., M.A is an acclaimed expert on issues of self-esteem among girls and women. She is absolutely passionate about the empowerment of girls and women and has dedicated more than half her life to this cause. Her decades of experience include her work as an educator, counselor, consultant, author, speaker, Creator of REALgirl (R) Empowerment Programs and Co-Founder of TrueMoon (R). Anea currently lives in Los Angeles with her husband and two daughters.
- Author(s)Anea Bogue
- PublisherDunham Books
- Date of Publication13/05/2014
- SubjectPregnancy & Parenting
- Place of PublicationNashville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDunham Books
- Weight249 g
- Width137 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine15 mm
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.71Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.