CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Cook Books
Save on Cook Books
- AU $29.95Trending at AU $33.30
- AU $31.69Trending at AU $32.01
- AU $41.50Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $26.32Trending at AU $28.88
- AU $38.65Trending at AU $40.93
- AU $26.20Trending at AU $47.59
- AU $16.23Trending at AU $20.38
About this product
- DescriptionAl-Baghdadi's Kitab al-Tabikh was for long the only medieval Arabic cookery book kwn to the English-speaking world, thanks to A. J. Arberry's path-breaking 1939 translation as A Baghdad Cookery Book , which was re-issued by Prospect Books in 2001 as Medieval Arab Cookery . For centuries, it had been the favourite Arab cookery book of the Turks. The original manuscript is still in Istanbul, and at some point a Turkish sultan commissioned a very handsome copy, which can still be seen in The British Library in London. In the twentieth century the Iraqi scholar, Daoud Chelebi, produced a modern transcription which served as the basis for Arberry's translation. Charles Perry has re-visited the manuscript and discovered many possible errors and amendments that affect the interpretation of these essential recipes for the understanding of medieval Arab cookery. He has produced a new English translation incorporating these amendments and fully antating his variations with the 'authorised' version. Scholars will w have a definitive text on which to work. They will also have this text in an inexpensive and handy format, just the thing for a learned lady's handbag.
- Author BiographyCharles Perry is an American journalist who worked on the Rolling Stone and now is a food correspondent with the Los Angeles Times. He has written extensively on the history of Central Asian and Middle Eastern food and cookery, most notably the book Medieval Arab Cookery (Perry, Rodinson, et al.) published by Prospect in 2001. He lives in Los Angeles.
- Author(s)Muhammad Ibn Al-H Al-Baghdadi
- PublisherProspect Books
- Date of Publication01/12/2005
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Place of PublicationBlackawton
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintProspect Books
- Weight181 g
- Width135 mm
- Height187 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Translated byCharles Perry
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.