All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWinner, 1998 PEN Center USA West Award for Translation Josef Hirsal's experimental vel is a Dada-like romp through the life of a young man born into a Bohemian peasant family. Told in five parts, A Bohemian Youth begins with a word to the wise, moves on to the text, continues with tes and with tes to the te, and ends with a te on the tes to the tes. More than just a tongue-in-cheek parody of a literary memoir, A Bohemian Youth is a glimpse of the First Czechoslovak Republic as seen through the eyes of a young peasant from the provinces. Abounding in intimate details--the manners of a servant girl, the habits of the town homosexual, the sounds of popular music; the way people eat in wartime--Hirsal's vel is a wrenching and hilarious tale of a young man's emotional and sexual awakening.
- Author BiographyJosef Hir al was born in 1920 in Chomuticky in northeastern Bohemia. He became known in the 1960s as a poet and translator and was blacklisted after the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia. He now lives in Prague. Michael Henry Heim was a professor of Slavic languages and literatures at UCLA. His translations of Dubravka Ugre ic's Fording the Stream of Consciousness and Felix Roziner's A Certain Finkelmeyer have also been published by Northwestern University Press.
- Author(s)Josef Hirsal
- PublisherNorthwestern University Press
- Date of Publication28/02/1998
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleWritings from an Unbound Europe S.
- Place of PublicationEvanston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthwestern University Press
- Weight91 g
- Width127 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Translated byMichael Henry Heim
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.