All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNovember 2013 marks the 50th anniversary of the death of Clive Staples 'Jack' Lewis, when a memorial to him will be placed in Poet's Corner in Westminster Abbey. Although perhaps best kwn as the author of the seven Chronicles of Narnia, published between 1949 and 1954, Lewis also wrote The Pilgrim's Regress, a trilogy of science-fiction vels incorporating Christian themes, and a large number of n-fiction books about his faith, accessible to Christians and n-believers alike. In a survey of the greatest British writers since 1945, the Times newspaper ranked Lewis eleventh, ahead of Salman Rushdie, Anthony Burgess and Ian Fleming. A Brief Guide to C. S. Lewis explores Lewis's life, from his reconversion to Christianity under the influence of his friend J. R. R. Tolkien, which had such a profound influence on his writing - both fiction and n-fiction - to his marriage to American writer Joy Davidman Gresham and his battle with cancer. He died on 22 November 1963, a day before the first-ever episode of Dr Who, a TV series with many links to his Narnia stories was shown. Although this Brief Guide ranges well beyond the world of Narnia to explore other aspects of Lewis's life and his other writings, it does t do so - unusually among books on Lewis - from the point of view of Christian scholarship, thereby assuming much kwledge of theology on the part of readers. That Lewis wrote about the problems of praying is significant; the specific texts he discusses and dissects are likely to be of less significance to most readers. The guide provides sypses of Lewis's fiction, an overview of his other writings, a biography and a look at all the many different versions of his stories that have appeared. In doing so it draws on recent interviews by the author with some of the many talented people who have worked on these adaptations.
- Author BiographyPaul Simpson is the author or co-author of over a dozen non-fiction books including an acclaimed round-up of conspiracy theories. He has edited and contributed to numerous international entertainment magazines and currently oversees news and reviews website SciFiBulletin.com. He lives in West Sussex, in England.
- Author(s)Paul Simpson
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication20/09/2012
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Series TitleBrief Histories
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight222 g
- Width131 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $199.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.70Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $36.17Trending at AU $70.69
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.